Discuss Bathroom renovation help please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

granthathaway

Hi there, i am in the process of converting my old toilet/bathroom into one room ("family bathroom"), and am after some advice regarding the best methods to get the best results. I have knocked down the internal block wall between the two rooms, bricked up the unwanted door, and have gutted the rooms back to the existing plaster etc etc. I have chased in new wiring where required, skimmed the celing and have bonded all recesses so the walls are somewhere near level. What is the best thing to do next regarding tiling?

All walls are solid brick (not stud) and have been bonded and skimmed. As some of the walls have been skimmed and are in good condition, i was going to skim the remainder of the walls to get a good level to tile on.

The tile adhesive i have says that no primer is required and not tile onto backing plasters/bonding.

Should i use a primer for piece of mind?

I am going to fit a P bath so i can fit an electric shower above. Do i need to take extra waterproofing preacautions such as tanking in this area, or will a primer and waterproof adhesive be sufficient?

Also, the tiles my missus has chosen are 450mm x 316mm x 9mm (spirit marfil) ceramic wall tiles. Is this too much loading for the finishing plaster? What makes me think i might get away with the tile, is the the old tiles i took off were of a similar size. But, if the loading is too much, is the easier (and probably cheaper) option to change the tile?

Ideally, i wanted to stay away from backer boards etc as the room is not very big as it is, so wanted to keep the room as big as possible to maximise space etc.

The floor will also be tiled. I intend to use 6mm ply screwed down onto floor boards. Again, is this sufficient, and do i need to take any extra waterproofing precautions?

Sorry to go on, i just want to get it right as i want the bathroom to last.

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
C

charlie1

I'm always wary of tiling on plaster no matter how straight it looks, get a 2m straight edge over the face of the plastered walls to see what they are like, should be no gaps greater than 3mm, if there are then tell us how much and e can advise on course of action. As for your floor, 6mm is not deep enough, best course of action would be remove floor boards, install noggins and overboard with 18mm ply then 6mm backer board.

How big is the floor area?
You need to check the floor is deflection free at floorboard level first, if not, screw down where needed. Once this is secure, prime the floorboards then glue and screw 6mm cement boards ie hardie backer to the floorboards. This will give you a good surface to fix to.

What adhesive have you got for the walls? Stay away from premixed stuff.(I'm assuming this is what you have bought and looking back at your tile choice it is oversized for ready mixed anyway, however load is ok.)

Cementuous is the best and, yes, prime the walls with an acrylic primer such as bal primer or ardex p51 1:3

the tanking decision is up to yourself. Most customers who don't use backer boards prefer to tank so this would have been an option I would have presented to you.

good luck.

G

granthathaway

thanks, the floor area is approx 4.5m2 and i have cement based tile adhesive for the floor tiles. The adhesive i have for the wall tiles is granfix multifix (in 10L tubs) - it is a thin bed adhesive that says it's compatible for large format tiles. can you suggest/recommend a cementuous adhesive and does it need to be thin or thick bed? and how much would i need for 17m2? many thanks for your help

G

granthathaway

ok, just to clarify:

the wall tiles are 416mm x 315mm x 9mm ceramic - will this exceed the weight limit per m2 for plaster with adhesive and grout? reading through posts i know that the weight limit for plaster is 20kg/m2, and i think using 9mm tiles will roughly give me at least 23kg/m2.

is it best to play it safe and choose a thinner tile to bring me within limit? I've found a 5mm thick tile which we like just as much (dakar ivory 250mm x 400mm x 5mm)

I will prime the walls first and tank the shower/bath area

I will use a cement based adhesive with a thicker bed as i'm tiling onto plastered walls.

Is this correct/ok?

sorry to keep on, i just want to get it right. many thanks for any/all help.

Can't be arsed taking this pm, Charlie you are a REMOVED, I'm a product of the nett however after that I had two years with a bonifide tiler then took on my business of offering the full bathroom refurb with my best mate a plumber

6 years then I moved to london, Made the connections in the best place possible, back on the tools making a killing right now. Two building engineers recommending me all over so jog on REMOVED

C

charlie1

Can't be arsed taking this pm, Charlie you are a REMOVED, I'm a product of the nett however after that I had two years with a bonifide tiler then took on my business of offering the full bathroom refurb with my best mate a plumber

6 years then I moved to london, Made the connections in the best place possible, back on the tools making a killing right now. Two building engineers recommending me all over so jog on REMOVEDr

don't say something on a computer you would not say in the real world, your insulting remarks are noted!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom renovation help please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB