Discuss Bathroom sealant question in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rajanm

Hello all,

I had my bathroom done about 6 months ago and so far everything is holding up well...no mould, the tiles are still on the walls etc!

The only thing I've notice is a very very narrow gap appearing between the sealant around the bath and my wall tiles. It's probably not much more than 1mm, possibly even less but it is noticeable - it's about 5cm long.

I had previous issues with water leaking through sealant and don't want a repeat - I also would rather not get the sealant replaced as the rest of it is as good as new. My question is, is there such a thing as a way to touch up sealant? i.e. a tube where you can apply a really really thin layer of sealant? Like I said, it's a very small gap but it would be good to close it up...

Rajan

S

StephenR

The other reason could be the surfaces weren't degreased/cleaned before the silicon was applied. So all as danmasey says. Bone dry is the most important thing! Whipe area either with meths or acetone. If meths, makes sure it doesn't stain the grout (keep it away). Leave to dry for a minute. Mask the area off with masking tape or similar. I like Duck tape. And then in you go with the silicon. If you've not played with silicon before, have a practice well away from stuff you like. Look at some YouTube videos. Remove the tape as soon as you're done.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom sealant question in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB