Discuss Bathroom - suitable walls and floors ? (semi-wetroom) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

Hi,
I'm keen to have a bathroom in the house (been rennovating a while).
This is what the family bathroom looks like at the moment (rest of house is finally all plastered and painted): (see pics)

Floor:
The floor is 19mm flooring ply over 220mm joists.

Walls:
Standard studwork.

Questions:
1 - Do I need to make the floor stiffer with extra cross-noggins?
Planning on having a natural stone floor and looking to avoid cracks.

2 - How do I make the floor waterproof?
Although I'm not going for a wetroom I want to make it waterproof as am not good at keeping water in baths and showers - it's like a herd of hippos has passed normally...
A membrane sounds like a good idea.... good brands ? Ones to avoid ?

3 - What is the best material/board for the walls?
Again, planning on natural stone for part of the wall and obviously in the shower area. Looking for a board that can take a bit of weight I guess?

4 - Can I plasterboard the ceiling and sloping ceiling with standard 12.5mm plasterboard?

Thanks,
Ed

Bath - against the blockwork under the sloping ceiling.
Shower - to left of door as you enter in alcove/recess. Tray and enclosure.
Basin - to right of door as you enter.
Loo - to left - between shower and bath.

Attachments

• fambathrm_01.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 116
  • fambathrm_02.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 117
  • fambathrm_03.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 114
  • fambathrm_04.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 133
  • fambathrm_05.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 122
  • fambathrm_06.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 154
  • fambathrm_07.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 113
W

White Room

Hi,
I'm keen to have a bathroom in the house (been rennovating a while).
This is what the family bathroom looks like at the moment (rest of house is finally all plastered and painted): (see pics)

Floor:
The floor is 19mm flooring ply over 220mm joists.

Walls:
Standard studwork.

Questions:
1 - Do I need to make the floor stiffer with extra cross-noggins?
Planning on having a natural stone floor and looking to avoid cracks.

I would allow extra noggings but 22mm ply would have better
2 - How do I make the floor waterproof?

Ditra or dural ci which will waterproof as well
Although I'm not going for a wetroom I want to make it waterproof as am not good at keeping water in baths and showers - it's like a herd of hippos has passed normally...
A membrane sounds like a good idea.... good brands ? Ones to avoid ?

3 - What is the best material/board for the walls?

Hardie because of your tile weights
Again, planning on natural stone for part of the wall and obviously in the shower area. Looking for a board that can take a bit of weight I guess?

4 - Can I plasterboard the ceiling and sloping ceiling with standard 12.5mm plasterboard?

Yes you can but will you be fixing tiles onto that board

Thanks,
Ed

Bath - against the blockwork under the sloping ceiling.
Shower - to left of door as you enter in alcove/recess. Tray and enclosure.
Basin - to right of door as you enter.
Loo - to left - between shower and bath.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
E

edwardk

Right - got prices on the following boards from the local tile places :

Dukkaboard
10mm for the floors - 2500mm x 600mm £25 sheet
12mm for walls - £38.47 sheet
The guy said to screw down with large washers (12p each) and spax screws and to paint over the edges with Mapei mapegum (£27 a tub)
Then use a flexible adhesive - OPF white - 3mm bed £23 a 20kg bag

Went to another shop and they said this:
Marmox board
10mm for the floor - £21 a sheet (2500 x 600)
12.5mm for the walls - £23 a sheet
Said to screw down with large washers and spax but to use silicon on the edges to bond then to tape over the top and also to use pre-made corner tape joints.

I have some 12.5mm plasterboard for the ceiling (non-MR) - can I still use this ? Would just be the ceiling and the slope, untiled - would be wet skimmed and painted white.

Thanks
Ed

E

edwardk

Sorry for the double post above...

So Dukka or Marmox or some other board ?

Also is this still a good tool list : Tradetiler Tilers Starter Tool List

I looked at natural stone tiles and liked the look of them (pale limestone 600 x 405 or 305 x 12mm I think) - are these good for floors or will they crack due to joist movement ?
The shop guy said porcelain was much stronger.
If I go with stone/limestone am I better off with larger tiles or smaller ones to minimise cracking ? - or no difference.

Thanks
Ed

D

DHTiling

You are better off using the marmox/wedi type boards or even hardi backer which is cheaper than the others.

Don't use ply on the walls.. this is adding expansion issues you could do without and you cannot hang much weight to it.. around 25kg per mtr.

For the floor if you are using the stone, i would go with the uncoupling membrane , this will help combat any lateral stress cracks and also water proof the floor when it is combined with the joint tape..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom - suitable walls and floors ? (semi-wetroom) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have tiled small areas before but trying to create a wetroom.. I have read a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hiya all, I'm a DIY gal on first bathroom. Wondered if you could check out my plans and let me...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB