Discuss Bathroom tiling sequence in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

fad

I've just laid some 600x300 Porcelain tiles for a builder both walls and floor. I did all this prior to the bathroom fittings. Two of the walls weren't very square to begin with. The client and builder are happy with the job.
However someone else who has been working on the premises says that he fits bathrooms and said that because the walls weren't straight that when it comes to fitting the bath it could cause leaks. He said that he would have fitted the bath first and then fitted the tiles around it to avoid that problem.
Is this going to be a problem for the plumber?
The builder simply told me to tile the whole bathroom - should I give advice to clients and builders in future in a similar situation?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
You did what was asked - so you have nothing to worry about. However, if you were fitting the bath and tiling yourself I would advise that you first work out the height of the bath i.e. set it on the floor of the bathroom. Take measurements of the height then remove the bath. You could then work from that line. That means the bath (when fitted) would sit under your tiles. If the walls were really out of true then the bath could be chased into the walls. Good luck for the next time. Cheers Sean

C

CDS

Just one question on what you said Sean- is it possible to work out the height of the bath before the floor tiles are laid? Would you make an allowance for thickness of tile plus grout?

Measure the bath panel height and add that to the bath rim - That will give you the heght the bath needs to be set at. Then add depth of floor tile plus adhesive for an accurate measurement with a few mm extra. Assumes that floor is going to end up level.

We always fit the bath and silicone seal around all edges then tanking and tile down onto the bath edge. Gives a gurantee against leaks!

In this case maybe you could have recommended that bath was installed first but bottom line is you've followed the instructions you were given.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom tiling sequence in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I was hoping to get some input/help on this situation. Background: We had 12 x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB