Discuss Bathroom Tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MrT1

Hi

I am taking out a bath and replacing with a shower enclosure. I am taking off all the old tiles and replacing with.

Behind the bath on one side the wall is bare brick so before i can tile right down i need to make good - what is the best way - can i just repair the wall with some render, smooth off and tile over?

The other end is plasterboard i think (certainly not masonary) what is the best option here?

Regards

MrT1

D

DHTiling

Personally if it is going to be a shower area and not a bath now, then i would use a tanking membrane as well.. Now depending on what format of tile you are using you could use palterboard and use a tanking membrane over that but if heavier tiles , then as the lads above have mentioned a backer board and still tank , unless using a fully waterproof backer board like wedi with taped joints or similar.:thumbsup:

M

MrT1

Thank you for the welcome - :smilewinkgrin:

Certainly on the solid wall there is about an inch to make up and the plasterboard (old) I think the same. There is an electric shower at one of the bath which is what the enclosure is goung round and the colc feed currebtly runs under the bath from the tap up beind the plaster on the plasterbaord!!! so that gives you an idea of the thickness.

so do you just cut the tile backer board to size and fix using battens so it isl evel with rest of wall, tank (membrane) and tile!!!

The plasterboard wall may well disintegrate once i take the tiles off anyway.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB