Discuss Bathroom Wall Prep in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tej

Hi all, just want your views.

Just want to know what kind of prep I will need to do before work starts on the bathroom. The room is pretty much 2m x 2m and we're gonna use Palma ceramic wall tiles (31 x 45cm) from Wickes.

The bathroom has a mixture of marine ply walls and plasterboard. The plasterboard has some damage where we took off the old tiles and some of the paper has come off exposing little of the gypsum. The ply is around the shower/bath area; obviously I will remove any remaining adhesive from the walls.

I was going to prime the walls with something like Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer that I've seen in Screwfix and use some sort of waterproof rapidset flexible adhesive out of the tub like Bal's White or Blue star adhesives. What do you think?

Cheers

D

david campbell

Hi all, just want your views.

Just want to know what kind of prep I will need to do before work starts on the bathroom. The room is pretty much 2m x 2m and we're gonna use Palma ceramic wall tiles (31 x 45cm) from Wickes.

The bathroom has a mixture of marine ply walls and plasterboard. The plasterboard has some damage where we took off the old tiles and some of the paper has come off exposing little of the gypsum. The ply is around the shower/bath area; obviously I will remove any remaining adhesive from the walls.

I was going to prime the walls with something like Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer that I've seen in Screwfix and use some sort of waterproof rapidset flexible adhesive out of the tub like Bal's White or Blue star adhesives. What do you think?

Cheers

i would suggest replacing the damaged plasterboard first,then i would use a tanking kit(because it's a bathroom)or you could replace the plasterboard with aqua-panel,also as good as white star is,it isn't suitable for larger format tiles(anything over 300mm x300mm)i would suggest using a flexible rapid-set cement based adhesive

G

grumpygrouter

I was hoping to keep costs to a minimum
sadly keeping costs to a minimum now may well cost you a whole lot more later on.

Further to Davids post, I also would get rid of the plywood too. Ply and water do not mix very well. Replace the ply with plasterboard too and tank the whole lot. BAL White star isn't really suitable for that size tile, and neither is it any good really over a tanking membrane. Check out Mapei Keraflex for your adhesives. Will do everything you need it to and is available at a good price.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matt

matt257 said in another thread that if I use Keraflex Maxi I wouldn't need to prime any of the named surfaces above. I know it might be a risk, but is that right?
Reading your OP again, you will need to prime the plaster. You wouldn't need to prime the ply or plaster board. Sorry, didn't read the post properly the first time. But as the other guys have said, ply is not the best thing for walls.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Wall Prep in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I need help on what prep I need to do. I have read on the forums here and I seem to be going...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views
Hi been browsing the forum, lots of good advice. I’m after some myself of you don’t mind...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB