Discuss Bathroom walls in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

jstrats

TF
Hello people i have just been to look at a job and the walls are terrible, bumps everywhere, loose skim, skim missing, exposed brickwork in places, some of it rough render.

Tiles are 600x300 porcelain and weigh 19.5kg per m, i told client (decorator friend of mine) to get a plasterer in to sort out the walls for me.

My question is shall i get him to bond it and skim it or to dot and dab some kind of boarding?

Thanks, Jamie.

P

Polishtradesman

I would say - never use gypsum or plasterboards in wet areas and ALWEYS tank surface before tiling in wet area (f.e. broken link removed). To prepere surface to tile use cement- based compounds like Broken Link Removed , then tanking then tile. It is only way for wet areas. It will be ok for years, without fungus. If board in wet area, wedi boards are ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ORTiling

Ive just finnished a new build that has skimmed studded bathroom walls with 600x300 Porcilain over 20kg per m2 with 12mm notch trowl, it does have backer board in the shower.

Bit concerned about this now, have some more builds to tile soon, should I be recomending they not plaster and dry line the walls and use something else now?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom walls in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I need help on what prep I need to do. I have read on the forums here and I seem to be going...
Replies
Views
I am refitting the bathroom, and have removed the (two layers of) tiles but unfortunately not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I had my bathroom tiled about 5 months ago and yesterday I noticed cracking in the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB