Discuss Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

ROSSP

I am a novice renewing a bathroom. I am researching to get the best tiling advice before starting.

FLOOR – This is a concrete base. Intend to use 300x300x9mm Beige Glazed Ceramic tiles with UFH. UFH to warm the tiles rather than main source of heating as there is a radiator in the room. I want to raise floor level as little as possible so intend to use ‘Thermacoat’ instead of insulation boards. Can thermacoat be used as the floor primer or is another primer required?
I assume self levelling compound is required?
I assume that rapid setting flexible tile adhesive is required?
Do I need an expansion joint around the perimeter (floor is 2.8m x 2.4m)?
Do I need ‘superflex’ grout?
What is the optimum grout width?
If I use ivory grout will this show up the dirt?

WALL - Using 360x275x9mm glazed ceramic tiles. The walls are now down to the plaster. We are installing a 900 Quadrant shower. The intention is to use WBP ply on one wall of shower to cover over pipework. The other wall will be tiled directly onto plaster. What is the best type of primer to use – preferably the same for ply and plaster?
What is best tile adhesive to use?
What is optimum grout width for walls?

Do I need to use same make of tile adhesive and grout?
Are the trade products any good or is it best to stick to well know brands like BAL or Mapei?

Any other advice welcomed.

S

Scott

The tile adhesive doesnt have to be rapid set it just depends on how soon you want to be able to walk on it or grout it. If its conctrete floor then you can use standard grout too. There should be a small gap around the edge which either the skirting board or wall tile will cover. As for grout colour, uyes it will show the dirt but you can seal it to help with that. The UFH is best laid with self levelling compound over the top (SLC) but it can be encapsulated in the adhesive but it must be completely covered to prevent it burning out. ITs also a bit of a risk as you can damage it with the trowel when tiling over it. It really depends on how confindent oyu are in laying SLC as its not just a case of mix and pour.

Try and avoid the ply if you can. Can you use a cement backer board instead? or overboard the ply with them or even tanked plasterboard? The primer of choice will depend on the adhesive you use. Most manufactureres only warranty with their own primer. The grout and adhesive compnaies can be mixed though. Id stick to Mapei if you can as they are genreally all round good products, Bal are too but tend to be more expensive that Mapei.

R

ROSSP

Further to my initial post and reply by Scottley.

I have already bought the WBP ply but the builders merchant said they are willing to exchange it for Hardie Backer Board, which is what I now intend to do. Therefore I will have one shower wall backed by HBB and the other wall will be tiled straight onto the plaster. Ideally, I do not want to put HBB on this wall as the shower enclosure will then be too close to the sink. Is there any need for me to get one of these ‘shower waterproofing/tanking kits’?

I will be using self levelling compound around the UFH cables. Can the tile adhesive go straight onto this or is a primer needed?

R

ROSSP

Beanz and Scottley - thanks for your replies.
The shower will be used a couple of times a day. At the moment one shower wall will have Hardie Backer Boards to cover the pipework. The other wall will be tiled straight onto the plaster. I discussed this with the guy who is doing the work and he said don't bother with a waterproofing kit. So I am relieved to hear Beanz comments.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB