UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Battens onto tanking?!?! Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Julz77

Never assume the bath is dead level as most do camber... datum line next row up from the bath and cut to that line in consecutive rows..

Think that's the best plan. Thanks !

What do you use for your battens? I have old levels that were cheap and no good but use them like boxed ali lengths. Wonder if strips of MDF architraves might be better?

J

Julz77

I very rarely use a batton..but sometimes i have used them when i don't want the weight of the tiling to push onto the substrate whilst the adhesive dries to take support, like when i have insulation boards down on the floor or crack isolation membrane , where these can crush under heavy weight from stone tiles etc.

Do you just never tried batten-less, do you just work off your datum?

Hoping Santa brings me a laser level!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
It's very rare that bath rims run true and flat. Get yourself a few packs of 5mm wedges from tradetiler. Cut into the bath first to a datum line as suggested. Once you're done the cut row, stick a level along it and use the wedges to bring anything into place.

I almost always use battens. 2"x1" pse from any diy shop is the cheapest, it's never straight though, but thin enough to be able to bend into place. Stud walls i use a collared plug when drilling for the batten, masonary i use a standard 6mm plug and put a longer fixing into the brickwork behind.

If you're drilling through a tanking membrane use a HSS bit to start and that way it won't grab and tear at the membrane sheet like pehaps a wood bit would. Patch after with a small square of membrance stuck with adhesive.
For other such tanking, cover your hole with the jointing tape provided and apply adhesive or further tanking coat over the top of the area.

When tiling onto a bath I always do the first row if using porcelain and fix with rapid then I leave it till it sets before I carry on,had a bad one once where I tiled above the bath got halfway up the wall and the weight pushed the bath away from the wall and the tiles started to slide behind the bath which was only stuck with silicone,I,ll never make that mistake again.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Battens onto tanking?!?! Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Hi, Absolute newby here in terms of tiling. Having been doing lots of research and I think I`m...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some expert advice and hopefully some reassurance.... I've just had a complete...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.