UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Batterning up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concept PHT

Get yourself some Granfix supergrip - like rubbish to a blanket mate.

I must admit, I used some blue star the other week to do my mates moms kitchen wall, and the tiles slipped all over the place. Normally you can place the tile on, move away to sort something out maybe and come back to put a spacer in etc.. and the tile hasn't moved. But with the blue star I had, it seemed weak and too easy to spread on the wall.

Only batten when the bath / kitchen units are missing and you know the height. Normally on new builds this happens, where you can work off the plans.

To batten onto a solid wall, drill your holes in your batten first, then swapping your drill bit to a masonry one, drill through the batten into the wall, add raw plug and screw in.

:)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If you do need to batten to a plastered wall though, use a few oval nails a couple of inches or so long and knock one in every couple of foot. You'll find they'll wiggle around a bit till you start to put a bit of weight on the batten. You might find if it's on render or laths it'll be an arse to do but I found nails work better than other methods. You can also stack tiles under the batten to hold it in place if it's low enough and there's nothing in your way. I never plugged and screwed battens to be honest. It can take a chunk of time out of your preperation time.

I know even with a really good adhesive, if the wall is in bad shape and you're fighting against bedding the tiles on your first row, it can be a nightmare without a batten. So it's always nice to know you can use/make one. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Batterning up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.