Discuss Been a while! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hey Guys,

Long time no speak. I had a good run during winter but things have dried up a bit recently.

Got a nice job coming up in 2 weeks, which I should have started on Monday, but the builder is behind schedule and now I'm looking at another 2 week gap in my diary I'm trying to fill at short notice.

Had nothing major going on for the last 6 weeks. Only got a 14m2 kitchen floor to do after the big job, so I'm wondering what to do next. Have quoted for other work, but find I'm either getting undercut, or being told it's too expensive, so the customers change their plans and then don't consider me for being too expensive. It has now got to the point where things are getting difficult financially, so I'm wondering should I stay or should I go (to pastures new?).

I've decided I want to keep going and try to turn things around, so I need to start looking at other avenue's I've not yet explored. Maybe looking at some commercial tiling to try and get some more regular work where I'm not out quoting for it? I've only ever worked for myself and doing domestic work since becoming self employed. So, I don't know of any commercial tilers in my area, or where I would look if I wanted to get onboard with one. Can anyone offer any advice here?

Are there any local tilers who have a big job, that need any help? Either to help me fill this 2 week gap I have, or maybe for the future once I finish my big job around mid-July? I hope asking doesn't breach any forum rules :yikes:

I know Ive been told before about updating my profile and getting some images uploaded, also getting my own website sorted out. As I am struggling financially, I think getting a website is out of the question for now. But I have some time to sort my profile out. I've uploaded a picture to use, but I cannot see how I edit my profile pic once I click on the customize my profile button. Any help there would be appreciated too.

Hope you guys are enjoying the good weather!! And thanks in advance for any advice given.

T

Time's Ran Out

Dennis- I don't think there is any magic wand you can wave and the work will appear! I find you have to be proactive not reactive to the situation. There is work out there but without looking it will go to others, short periods of no work should be anticipated and filled by those estimates you lost on price, some income is better than no income and experience should win those jobs.
A web site is your catalogue but you still need people to find it, but this forum is free so fill your profile/albums and direct your potential customers here to show them you are part of the best Tilers Forum.
Good luck and keep on tiling!

Ok, but only if it's dry and use a fine grit sand for lube :lol:

9pm, my phone just rang with a customer wanting a quote. Was refered to me by a supplier I have already done some jobs for, but I not had any referals off them for a few months. I called them earlier today, just to remind them I'm alive and see if any small jobs are going.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can squeeze it in before this big job starts. If I can't I'll probably loose it because it will be 6 weeks before I can go back. The customer tells me he would like victorian geometric if the price is within his budget, otherwise will probably go with large format porcelain. The customer also tells me the floor has electric underfloor heating already installed, and that it is ready to be tiled - I can't wait to see if that is really true. Would be a first!! It's a small conservatory, so for now I'm assuming it will be a concrete subfloor circa 6-8m2, and that insulation boards will have been installed before the UFH wires went down, and they have some SLC over the top to level it properly, and protect the wires for the interim.

Will let you know how it goes.

Just been to look at the job and it seems very promising. The customer has a number of different tile choices, so I said I will do 3 quotes for each type of tile. That is Arundel/Bronte OS victorian mosaic, 6x6 quarry tiles and 300x300 porcelain.

There is definately some prep involved. The builder that built the extension has insulated and screeded the floor, then used the cheaper foam only insulation boards underneath the wires, which are on matts. Much prefer the loose wire myself, and I'm a little unsure about the electric wires being buried in 30-35mm of slc?

Anyway, the UFH wires were still exposed but protected, the floor needs levelling/bringing up 30-35mm, so the finished tile level is matching the existing kitchen floor. Also, some of the UFH wires are no where near the minimum distance from the edge. More like 15-20mm from the edge in some places.

I have recommended ripping the cheap insulation out and laying some thicker marmox boards, relaying the wires and temp probe with the proper distance around the perimiter, and finish in a much thinner SLC screed. I suspect this would also make it warm up a little quicker, but I'm going to confirm that with manufacturers in morning.

The feeling I get from the customer is that the victorian mosaic will be over their budget, and the 300x300 porcelain will be the most cost effective for them. I think the 6x6 quarries fitted the room rather well, so I would hope they go with the middle ground choice of 6x6 quarries or 6x6 victorian with a diamond pattern and half tile border.Better get started then!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Been a while! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB