Discuss Best and Worst Tiles You've Worked With Recently in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I gave my mate Waggy a lift on a job the other week, only to find we couldn't cut the glazed pocelain. We even enlisted Andy tiler and son.

I did put some pics on a while back showing Andy caroll and son, Waggy, and myself trying to cut these tiles with Andy's top of the range Sigma, it wouldn't touch them,

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 016.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 113
  • ad3.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 110
  • ad4.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 107

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Have to agree with Bri on Porcelanosa, but my supplier does Casalgrande and Marazzi they are beautiful tiles to work with

Casalgrande Padana spa - Floor and Wall tiles, Fine Porcelain Stoneware, Single-fired tiles - Casalgrande Padana

Marazzi Tiles and Floor Coverings - Ceramics and Porcelain | Marazzi

I'm working with some that client has supplied 60x30 rectified porc, made in Malaysia. I think that because of the size they are cutting ok but if they are any bigger may have problems like you Phil.

Worst ones were when a customer supplied and they were 2-3 mm out of square. They were from Argentina, first time I've come across tiles from there

Last edited by a moderator:

STEVO

TF
stockport
Few weeks ago i did 2 bathrooms with some villeroy & boch 450x450's. Not impressed. sizes were a little out and when on the wall the shades looked all different to my eye and even the plumbers! All batches were same. didnt look nice to me. They got me to cut down a different shade tile to insert as a border, (against my advice) and some looked bowed after i snapped them.
luckily customers didnt notice as they didnt really have an eye for design, so they were well happy with it all. But i wouldnt use them again.

J

jonnyc

Interesting to hear your comments on plank effect gary. I've just been encouraging a contractor to buy these tiles but maybe I won't now.
but if you think these porcelain planks are trouble I can tell you that I was fixing the first wenge sandstone planks from Saudi Arabia @20mm,running lengths 1000 to 1800 mm 7 or 8 years ago and you could get a waggle when verticle of at least 150mm.if you tried to carry it flat it would just break.
every paris ceramics showroom in uk and USA defeated all the tilers but I am proud that we did manager to get it down looking god but at great loss to what I quoted

Few weeks ago i did 2 bathrooms with some villeroy & boch 450x450's. Not impressed. sizes were a little out and when on the wall the shades looked all different to my eye and even the plumbers! All batches were same. didnt look nice to me. They got me to cut down a different shade tile to insert as a border, (against my advice) and some looked bowed after i snapped them.
luckily customers didnt notice as they didnt really have an eye for design, so they were well happy with it all. But i wouldnt use them again.

I fixed these a while ago. they were bowed big time. Apparently they have bought a factory in Turkey and are now producing bent bowed crap. Oh dear.

Reply to Best and Worst Tiles You've Worked With Recently in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
This is the Plumbers Forums is now Plumbers Talk Discussion Thread As always; a simple ‘logo’...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Beginner Tiling Courses 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Day Tiling Courses? These are brilliant for a DIY...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB