Discuss Best grout for slate tiles on concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Juliecwuk

We used bagged Mapei adhesive to lay the tiles. Now looking for a decent grout for the tiles. Ideally i want a tubbed one to make it easier, Mapei seem to only do bagged grout, i worry about getting the right consistency for the grout when using a bagged grout....

we do have some Unibond flexible grout left from another room, but unfortunately its for wooden floors - unless that could work? i know people seem to hate Unibond though.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Julie.
I suppose it each to there own when it comes to personal preference on materials but I would much rather used a bagged powdered adhesive as opposed to a pre-mixed.

The only experience i've ever had with tubbed grout was a few years ago, and that's only because the customer had supplied materials. I found it to be to thick, hard to apply and difficult to wash off, just a nightmare basically, and with you grouting a slate floor with pores and cracks in the stone, you'd be better with a grout that will wash out a lot easier.

with the tiles been laid on a concrete floor, movement will be minimal so using a flexi grout certainly wont do it any harm although it isn't necessary. Whatever grout you decide to use just make sure its suitable for floors flexi or non flexi.

In my opinion, Mapei powdered grout it your best bet, its smooth and easy to apply and will wash off nicely. When trying to get the right consistencey just bear in mind that grout dosnt need much water compared to adhesive, so go easy with the water or add powder 1st then water 2nd if that helps, then wisk to a textured cream.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best grout for slate tiles on concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB