Discuss Best Substrate for Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve H

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Apologies from the start for my ignorance. I am about to start to replace my bathroom, I have a plumber/electrician professional to guide me but I am taking the lead on the tiling. I am looking for guidance on whether my plans are practical or not.

I will be installing a shower/bath at one end of the bathroom, I intend to take down the existing plaster board wall to hopefully reveal stud partitioning. The plumber will do his pipe magic fixing the necessary pipe runs, I then intend to build the wall with 2400x1200x18 wbp ply, sealing the reverse and edges with suitable? primer. Leaving 2mm expansion gaps and filling these with silicone sealant. I intend to tank the corner at the end where the shower is down to floor level. Then tile with Porcelain Tiles, around the bath and to the ceiling.

1. Is this sufficient tanking, if I do experience a leak, the water will work its way to the floor (which will be covered below).

2. I've read that the ply needs to be fixed at 300 centres, I expect my studwork may be further apart than 300mm, I will be fixing some noggings in as strong points for shower fittings and screen but suspect that the gaps between studs could be 14-16 inches, will that be ok?

3. I am going to a BAL trade presentation tomorrow, I intend to use their adhesives, primers, what will be a good primer and adhesive to use for this job, I will not be looking for a rapid set, as I suspect this will be a slow job.

I am moving the radiator, the floor looks like it is chipboard/weyroc, most of the original building materials appear to be from wickes, so I will be cutting into the existing floor, I am not worried about the expense so is it a good idea to lift the whole floor, which will allow me to insert some kind of acoustic cladding in the void above the ceiling below (it always seems to go quiet in the kitchen just as the waterfall gushes in the bathroom). Would the same plywood be a good floor in the bathroom, with either and I'm asking for advice here, 6mm hardibacker, wediboard or marmox board. Would that give a stable enough substrate for ufh, slc and then the same porcelain tiles.

More apologies for the long posting, I appreciate any advice that you can give. This job will be my 3rd and biggest by a long way in my new career as a tiler.

Steve

D

david campbell

Thanks Doug and T2000,
Walls with Hardibacker and thicker ply for the deck. Thanks for the tip about Keraquick. Next question is likely to be: My floor will be about an inch higher than at present, has anybody any good advice on materials or other for make a threshold from my carpeted landing into the bathroom?
Thanks for your patience.

sound like you intend overboarding the floor boards with ply,why not rip them up add extra noggins and lay 25mm ply:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

Thanks Doug and T2000,
Walls with Hardibacker and thicker ply for the deck. Thanks for the tip about Keraquick. Next question is likely to be: My floor will be about an inch higher than at present, has anybody any good advice on materials or other for make a threshold from my carpeted landing into the bathroom?
Thanks for your patience.
As David, I thought you were dispensing with the existing flooring?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best Substrate for Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB