Discuss Best tool to grind slate edge? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smudger

Hi Folks, hope we're all well. Having a problem finishing a slate job as my now beautifully level floor (with ufh, board etc) has created a sloping step into hallway ( hall floor is well off level). Was originally intending to use cover strip but it looks naff. My problem is that as the edges were covered, there is a difference of about 1-2 mm between the edges. As these are now going to be visible I want them flush. The edges are exposed so I can get at them with a grinder, but will a dry gring disc trash the edge. I do not want to lift/replace as it could damage ufh wiring underneath.
Other option was to "ramp" hall floor but customer now wants a step as I have done with external tiles. I intend to use steel edging strip to ensure no sharp edge, but I really want a clean/straight edge.
A tip or two from you (my more skilled and experienced advisors) would be much appreciated (I might even go to the bar!!)

Thanks for reading

Martin

S

Smudger

I'll take some tomorrow. I've only got a wet table saw which can't be used on tiles in place. Basically the tiled floor is level (flat) and the adjoing floor from the hallway is on a massive slope. The "step" is about 25mm on one side and about 40mm on the other. As i was not expecting the edge to be visible the tiles are not cut exactly i.e. 1-2mm variation (I think there is a lesson there!).

I really want to know if I use the edge of a gring disc can i grind of some of the tile or will it cause the slate to split along the fault lines between layers?

I really wanted to finish tomorrow, but if not I'll get some piccies. Thanks again.

Reply to Best tool to grind slate edge? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Best tool to grind slate edge?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.