UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss best way to find work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
hi and welcome to the forum.

to be honest with you, if you got a job, i would stick with it, times are tough for even the most seasoned tiler, and it ain't getting any better.

as you have said, job vacancies for tilers require experience, and rightly so, you will be competing with time served tradesmen with years of experince, and unless you have that same kind of experince in tiling, you may be left out in the cold.

D

dave l and l

i am with these guys too. more people are trying and failing to start up, there is no easy answer to finding a job. however not all negative
learn to tile well. learn your products,then you will probably need to advertise in local papers and other magazines. maybe if you know people in building trade they can give you jobs. fundamentally you need to do a good job, if you can do that then you will have a decent chance at making a living from it

T

Time's Ran Out

The sooner people realise that tiling is a skilled finishing trade and not just a 30 minute makeover programme then the standard of installations will improve.
It's not that a 4 week course will not help with a basic introduction to tiling, it's just that no customer would be prepared to pay for you to gain experience at their expense.
To sell your wares as a professional tiler without the correct training and experience should bring a moral decision into question. The friends and family route would help on this but IMO it would have to be an exceptionally determined/gifted individual to make a decent living within the first 3 years.
On a more positive note - this is the best trade in the world - so if you make that bold decision, then good luck and ENJOY.

T

Time's Ran Out

Your not all born professional tilers, are you ? how did you all start?

My Mam said it was the bib & braces she used to put me in, along with the rubber squeegee I had to play with in the 'pen'.

Everyone's history will be different and the personal profiles on the members list give an indication - for me it was a traditional apprenticeship in 1972 and I learned all aspects of sand/cement fixing, wall preparation and how to make a good cup of coffee!
Although I fixed a few tiles, I grouted all the firms work for 3 months before they accepted that I could grout, and the rest is history.
We hear it often that 'anyone can tile' but that applies to any job, and it is only through regulations and testing that those working with electric/gas/water have some protection of their trade. So until there is an accredited body to represent the craft of Tiling, it will be down to pride and the ability to turn out a decent job.
But as others have said - it's a lot different today - tile sizes, adhesive types, materials (porcelain/stone/mosaics/etc.) and that's what makes it the best hobby to have (and you get paid!:smilewinkgrin:).

N

Nick HBS

Kesla, I am also 39 and recently did a four day tiling course quickly followed by a job tiling my inlaws' kitchen. The course was £350 and I've probably spent another £300-£350 on equipment (and I was paid for the work I did). My plan is to do friends and family jobs for now and see how it goes. I've a good career in IT although I'd love to do building related work such as tiling, plastering, joinery etc I've no plans to give up my job as yet.

I know its quite a bit of cash to spend but I enjoyed the course and the one job I did and my thinking is that if I get enough work to cover the money I've spent so far, then I've not lost out at all (apart from nearly 2 weeks holiday leave used up) and then I can make sensible, well thought out career choices.

I would advise a similar approach, as a number of people have said already, its not a good time for rash career decisions.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to best way to find work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
best way to find work
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.