Currently reading:
Best way to finish stud work for tiling

Discuss Best way to finish stud work for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

452varmint

Hello, i just first joined up and this is my first post so i hope this is posted in the right place.

I'm looking for some advice re tiling in bathrooms.
I'm making some alterations at home, relocating the main bathroom and adding an ensuite to the main bedroom.
At the minute the stud work has just went up and I'm just at the first fix stage getting wires / pipes and grounds in.

DSC02126.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

The ensuite is only 900mm wide (width of the shower) so it has stud wall on one side and two block walls.
In the main bathroom the shower will go in a corner and at least wall (probably both) will be studs.

I intend to have the walls tiled floor to ceiling in both rooms.
I'm a spark and was asking a tiler on a job what way i should prep the walls, he said not to bother with plaster board but to cover the stud with 19mm exterior grade plywood and then give it a couple of coats with a PVA glue / water mix, a tiler would just tile straight onto that.
He reckoned the most important thing is making the studs as solid as possible and that the ply was the best way to do this.

A plumber told me that "wadi board" (spl ???) was what most people use now but i haven't heard of that before ?

The other walls are uneven and will need to be plastered but I'm wondering if they should be plastered with finish or just levelled with a sand and cement "scratch coat".
Any help would be much appreciated.

O

Olz

Dont use PVA, I would use wediboard around the shower area, plasterboard around the other areas, you will need to tape the joints between wedi boards, they are waterproof, you could use plasterboard for the entire room and a tanking kit if you wanted, you would have to compare the costs dependant on the size of the room, as the wedi boards are quite expensive compared to plasterboard. You could also use a cement board such as hardibacker, these will not rot if wet like plasterboard, but will allow water to pass through them so not completley waterproof, wedi board is completley waterproof.

Mapei do a paint on tanking solution that can be painted over plasterboards, wetdecs a forum sponsor also does tanking kits, wetroom formers, shower solutions etc.

S

Swanseajack

Probably the cheapest option is to use plasterboard and to tank (waterproof coating)the plasterboard in shower enclosure/wet areas.

Or you could use a 12mm cement board for walls, Weidi, Hardibacker etc. As a belt and braces I still tank wet areas when using these boards.

Make the Stud walls @ 400mm centres and put noggings in to stiffen wall (Seems you have done that from photos).

As for the uneven wall, have you enough room for dot & dabbing plasterboard to these walls and fix tiles directly to plasterboard, no need to skim. If you follow this route allow 7 days for the platerboard adhesive to dry before fixing tiles. The benefits of this it will be quciker drying than skimming the walls.

As for primming dont use PVA for primming walls ( search forum for reasons) use an acrylic primer specially designed for tiling. Depending on what size tiles you are using, a lot of the tile adhesives are self primming.

Ideally we need to know what size tiles you are using, for advice for what adhesive to use.

452varmint

Thanks for the replies, i imagine 12mm cement board will be easier to source than Weidi, do i screw it in place rather than nail it ?
I was actually thinking the plywood was a good idea as it would save me putting grounds in for the shower and towel rails etc.

I'd rather plaster than dot & dabbing plasterboard as the rest of the house is being plastered inc. a loft conversion so there will be a lot of plastering, do i need to tell the plasterer to finish skim or just scratch with sand and cement.
Tanking ?, is that just a paint on product or is it a sheet ?, and where do i buy it, builders supply or plumbers supply ?
Would i tank the plastered areas as well as the cement board / plaster board ?

At the minute im not sure what size / type of tiles i Iwill use, just need to get the first fix completed so i get the whole job plastered out - wish i was at the tile selection stage :mad2:

.wysiwyg { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px}.wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c}.wysiwyg_alink { COLOR: #22229c}.wysiwyg A:visited { COLOR: #22229c}.wysiwyg_avisited { COLOR: #22229c}.wysiwyg A:hover { COLOR: #ff4400}.wysiwyg A:active { COLOR: #ff4400}.wysiwyg_ahover { COLOR: #ff4400}P { MARGIN: 0px}.inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle}
I have to ask.... Why is there are sheet of foam stuck to the wall?

It's just the size of the mirror that will go above the sink, i just needed to get the height right because i have to track for the wiring - it's got lights and a heating element in it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best way to finish stud work for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi, so I’m relatively new to tiling. I’ve got a job where the walls aren’t 100% flat but not the...
Replies
Views

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.