Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Best way to fix backer board on to blockwork in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

monkeyhanger

I'm doing out my main bathroom now, and the wall that runs the length of the bath has rendered plasterboard stuck to the blockwork. I was planning on using aquapanel for all of my tile backing boards. , The 2 other walls around the bath are studded, so I was just going to beef up the noggins (one the width of the bath at 1 end, and the other the width of the room, encompassing the other width of the bath and where the sink and toilet will go).

Got to use something strong as i'm fixing quartz tiles (2.15kg each 30cm x 30cm tile).

The tiles are only going 2 tiles high around the bath.

So for an area 1.9m wide x 0.6m , I have no studwork to fix to. I'm under the impression that auqapanel needs studwork to allow it to breathe, and so this would rule out dot and dab - any suggested alternatives???

M

monkeyhanger

Sorry it's taken so long to reply - been lashing on with the prep - beefing up the studwork for those areas that are approx 1.2 metre high (one wall from 1 corner of the bath (and room) to another corner of the room that have the sink and toilet backed onto them. Also been painting all the parts of the room that won't be tiled.

So I can definitely tile straight onto the rendered wall, 2 tiles high, bottom of bottom tile at 550mm high (bottom of tile just below the rim of the bath), top of tiles being 1166mm high? These tiles are Quartz 30cm x 30cm and weight 2.15kg each, being stuck with keraquick grey.

So a pro would just tile onto the existing rendered plasterboard that is cemented to the blockwall for these heavy tiles if they're only up from 550mm to 1166mm high and not be worried about weight issues? If that's the case then the job will look a lot better with the long wall not having to be pulled out 60mm (for the framework and aquapanel, and will save me a bit of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry it's taken so long to reply - been lashing on with the prep - beefing up the studwork for those areas that are approx 1.2 metre high (one wall from 1 corner of the bath (and room) to another corner of the room that have the sink and toilet backed onto them. Also been painting all the parts of the room that won't be tiled.

So I can definitely tile straight onto the rendered wall, 2 tiles high, bottom of bottom tile at 550mm high (bottom of tile just below the rim of the bath), top of tiles being 1166mm high? These tiles are Quartz 30cm x 30cm and weight 2.15kg each, being stuck with keraquick grey.

So a pro would just tile onto the existing rendered plasterboard that is cemented to the blockwall for these heavy tiles if they're only up from 550mm to 1166mm high and not be worried about weight issues? If that's the case then the job will look a lot better with the long wall not having to be pulled out 60mm (for the framework and aquapanel, and will save me a bit of time.

Sorry don,t understand. Rendered plasterboard?:oops:

Reply to Best way to fix backer board on to blockwork in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this forum is broken I can’t see most posts due to adverts, but I’ll give it a go...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Best way to fix backer board on to blockwork
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.