UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss best way to tile brick bond in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

This is one i'm doing at the moment. The setting out of this one isn't ideal as it has some small cuts but it's the only way it would work as the length of all walls are divided exactly by the tile plus spacer width. meaning that any run out on the walls would become a problem. In addition you sometimes have to take into account the chamfer on these type tiles when working out your cuts.

what it does mean is that the cuts wrap round the walls almost perfectly

brick bond.jpg

A

Aston

i have a few tips for brickbond tiling..

1.wrap around as dom says where it allows and lose any breaks in pattern at doorways or where spashbacks meet the fridge etc.....in other words, set out for the priority walls/feature and then work into an area that will be less noticable .

2. i always open a box of tiles and measure the middle of a stack of tiles and run a pencil line right through the tiles so the pencil mark hits ths center edge of the tiles...makes it easier to line up when fixing...(keep the tiles square when doing this tho!!)

3. sometimes you need to center a wall with brickbond because wrapping around doesnt always work out, but aim for a balance regarding the cuts and it wont be as noticable

4. remember brickbond works perfect with bricks and blocks because walls work to a full and half brick when being constructed BUT tiles comes in different sizes to the bricks so its not always possible to achieve the same result regarding lay outs!

5. some people lay in a pyramid format starting from the center line working out wards and then fix their cuts or some like to work one row at a time and fix cuts at each end as they go..

6. tradetiler sells t-shaped spacers if you prefer to use them, its your choice.

ed

C

Colour Republic

2. i always open a box of tiles and measure the middle of a stack of tiles and run a pencil line right through the tiles so the pencil mark hits ths center edge of the tiles...makes it easier to line up when fixing...(keep the tiles square when doing this tho!!)

ed

ummmm hadn't thought of that, I shall try that tomorrow:thumbsup: got to be quicker than doing them one by one

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Point 2 from AstonTiling should win Tip of the Week (if there was one!). Great tip that I will use in the future.

Also, depending on wall size (horizontal) and tile size, you might not want to start in the middle of the wall. You might have to play around with your centre line (or off-centre line) to get the right cuts into the corners. Just remember that all your cuts should be just less than full & just less than half. I also use a laser level to keep the vertical lines straight. When i'm doing windows I always start in the middle. The window is classed as a 'focal point' so you want the window reveals to be nice and even.
Cheers Sean

N

nodrog

you will have to set out from centre of your window first to keep an even cut up each side and then see how it wraps around the corners of the room, you may need to compromise somewhere but try to keep the window in balance
setting out from centre of window will give me a small cut (about 25mm) in one corner as the window is not central to the room

P

Paul

1.wrap around as dom says where it allows and lose any breaks in pattern at doorways or where spashbacks meet the fridge etc.....in other words, set out for the priority walls/feature and then work into an area that will be less noticable .

3. sometimes you need to center a wall with brickbond because wrapping around doesnt always work out, but aim for a balance regarding the cuts and it wont be as noticable

4. remember brickbond works perfect with bricks and blocks because walls work to a full and half brick when being constructed BUT tiles comes in different sizes to the bricks so its not always possible to achieve the same result regarding lay outs!

5. some people lay in a pyramid format starting from the center line working out wards and then fix their cuts or some like to work one row at a time and fix cuts at each end as they go..

6. tradetiler sells t-shaped spacers if you prefer to use them, its your choice.

ed

Hi ed
Please can you explain number 2 ?
Im not understanding the comment .
The pencil mark on the stack is the centre point of the tile but makes it easier to hit the centre edge of the tiles ? I think it's one of those that is easier explained on the job - visually.
Thankyou !

Reply to best way to tile brick bond in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
What would you guys do with the walls to prep for fitting 1200mm x 600mm Onice Verde (Porcelain)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.