Discuss bit of advice please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

boldydave

hello all.after 6 months of browsing this site and doing a 2 week tiling course i had a look at my first job today.it`s for my nephews landlord which is perfect for me as i can take my time without a `real` customer looking over my shoulder.it`s an 18smtr bathroom,mostly replastered(bonded and skimmed) which was done 2 weeks ago.my questions are,
1. he`s having the bath removed and fitting a shower tray.can i dot and dab some plasterboard into the hole on the wall where the bath was then tape the joints,and as this will now be a wet area do i need to use water resistant plasterboard or will waterproof adhesive and grout be enough.
2. do i need to prime the rest of the new plaster in the room ,and what product to use.
3. can we take up the floorboards and screw 28mm plywood directly onto the joists,and then we can tile straight onto that.also i know i need to prime/seal the underside and sides of the ply,but do i need to prime the face i`m laying onto aswell.
4. which flexi powdered adhesive would you recommend.
5. do i just tile down to the showertray and seal with silicone.
i know i`ve read the answers to most of these on the forum somewhere but i wanted to check it out for my peace of mind.i`m sure some more questions will come up but this will get me started.thanks to all in advance. dave.

M

mikethetile

Hi dave

use normal plasterboard and tank the shower area, incidently showers are classed as intermitant wet areas

prime with primer g , no need to prime tanked areas

only prime the face of the ply if reccomended

use mapei keraflex

double silicone the shower base, so you seal around the base and when tiled seal the gap under the tiles

what tiles are you using as you will neeed to watch the weight on skimmed walls

Not sure if the B&Q/Wickes stuff is inferior imported stuff already mentioned. The inferior stuff is know for de-laminating when it comes into contact with moisture, I.e The tile adhesive!

I would advise finding a local timberyard and asking them to supply you. My local TY has 18mm & 25mm Malasian Hardwood WBP. Few pounds cheaper for a sheet of 8'x4' (2440x1220) than B&Q too!!

B

Burnsy

Any ply over 15mm is acceptable usually its 18mm and it needs to be WBP ( commonly called marine ply) dont use the cheaper shuttering ply.
Actually you have to be careful with ply these days, there are some inferior types out there at the moment.

I think he was referring to plying straight onto the joists. Would you be ok with 18mm ply straight on to the joists?

Reply to bit of advice please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
bit of advice please.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.