Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Bituminous Tanking? A new one on me??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Hi guys,
After recommending tanking in the showers, I went to start the job today and the builder, after getting a small balcony tanked, the guy offered to do all 3 wetroom floors as well.
I have included some pics below but it appears to be some sort of spray-on bitumen, apparently it took a week to dry and although not sticky now, if anything is left on it overnight it will be stuck in the morning.It is about 3mm thick but in the internal corners it could be about 8mm thick and a bit spongy. No reinforcement was used at the wall/floor junction,

Questions:
Anybody tackled anything similar?
Will this be okay to tile on and what prep would you recommend? Primer?Adhesive?
The floor screed is heated,but the heating is two weeks away,so I will be just doing the walls atm. Or could the floor be tiled as it is isolated I guess by the tanking?
Would it be okay to tank the walls in the shower and overlap the black stuff at the bottom?

DSCF0518.JPG

DSCF0516.JPG

DSCF0521.JPG

DSCF0522.JPG

DSCF0517.JPG

E

easyt

I would have thought that there were suitable adhesives. Wonder how long the bitumen has to be left to cure? It probably takes a while. As for the effects of heat I don't know how much heat is produced. I know that new bitumen footpaths can get rather soft on a very hot summers day but they are black and do absorb a lot of heat. Older bitumen which has lost more of its volatile oils is more stable.

D

davy_G

I really dont like the look of it. Its an exterior product not designed for the application its now being used. Im sure it will do the waterproofing job but is it suitable to tile on? Im not so sure.
Its OK the builder saying he will take responsibility or him even signing a disclaimer but all thet does is state you are happy to continue works on a job you think may well fail!

Who sorts out any de-bonding issues in the future, compensation in court etc etc. If it was me I'd walk, if you cant gurantee your work dont do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Tommy, that looks to me like Laticrete 9235 (Jay knows what the stuff is), and it would take days to dry if installed as thick as you are seeing it on your job.

There is another product that is widely used, brand name Merkrete, that looks the same.

Mer-Krete Systems

Assuming this is a tanking product made for use under tile, I'd be concerned about whether they prepped the substrate correctly before applying it, and about the lack of fabric in the corners and the load bearing surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marty the tiler

hi have tiled on to this tanking method before but only after i have screeded for floor tiles pretty much all true bitumen has some sort of oil in it so to use it on walls i wonder if the glue would stick. over here some tanking guys put a bit of wash sand in it for grip as in saying that i would put some sort of sealer over it for the walls if it will stick before tiling.hope this helps cheers

Reply to Bituminous Tanking? A new one on me??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi guys! Right, so I'm starting this job next week (I'm the builder as you know!) so I need to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. So, I've been asked to do a bathroom for a customer but I'm not sure the best way to...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

tommyzooom

Arms
TF
Ireland
Website
http://www.mcknight-tiling.ie

Thread Information

Title
Bituminous Tanking? A new one on me???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.