UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Black Limestone cleaning advice... HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lh3018

We have recently had black limestone laid but the builders who laid it didn't seal it nor did they cover it whilst doing other work (rendering seating area) etc. It now looks concrete grey with lots of white marks where the concrete mix/mortar has splashed (I say splashed but really mean smothered as the whole area is a mess). Anyone know how to get these marks off and get it back to being black. I'm so angry and upset by the whole thing as we've paid out a lot of money!:annoyed: We're thinking of power washing it this weekend - will this help? I've been scrubbing and scraping off excess mortar and it looks great when wet but he minute it dries it's grey with white marks. Please someone have a solution. People have said Acid but then I've read that Acid is the worse thing to put on limestone as it causes a reaction and can ruin it completely... Does anyone out there actually know what to do.

Thanks
Lynda

L

lh3018

Any photo's please would help. Had so many calls about black limestone this year. You are right do not go anywhere near it with acid and keep the pressure washer of it. The solution will all depend on how bad it is and can't tell until see some images of it.

Hi I'm uploading some pics now. Hopefully they'll come out ok.

The middle pic is of flags that I haven't touched yet!

Thanks
Lynda

Attachments

• PICT0731.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 77
  • PICT0734.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0729.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
L

lh3018

Thanks for replies guys. Marble_Tony the work you have suggested is that expensive? I'm trying to get builders to take responsibility as I feel they should have either sealed it before grouting and walking all over it. They certainly shouldn't have left it the way they did. Should it have been sealed initially as there's so much contradicting info out there on the web. They're supposed to be coming back to look at it next weekend...

M

MARBLE_TONY

Depends m2 etc. As for sealing prior to works would depend on what you have speced. I'm certainly not going to say that they are wrong as there are two sides to every story. I should imagine that being builders they will want to rectify it themselves though is it in there capabilities would be the question to that. If it comes to that they want to rectify it themselves ask for a method statement of them and I will have a look at it for you. Or I know plenty local to you that will be able to quote it for you and then you can decide if you would want someone with experience to sort it or the builder.

L

London Stone

Black limestone is sensitive to acid and all types of chemicals, so dont let your builders treat it with anything ! Its going to be very difficult to remove these marks without major works. It looks like the material is naturally riven, so if you do hone the surface you will completely alter the surface of the stone (in this case maybe not a bad thing ) We had a similar situation and we used drytreat enhancer. It worked a treat for us. May be worth doing a test in a small area and waiting to see what the results are. Make sure the test area is completely dry for the best results

Good luck with it
Steve

L

lh3018

Hi Guys, I'm back and unfortunately still in the same position. We've had him back and even now he won't admit he's at fault. These flags should come with a Warning and very clear instructions on how to lay them. I've since found out that flexible compound should be used to grout and not sand and cement and that they should be laid on a full bed of mortar again something he didn't do he did dot and dab method. There's so much contradicting info I don't know where to go for a solution. Does anyone know of a reputable firm in the Manchester area that would be capable of cleaning, sealing and removing existing grout and re-grouting using correct material. This job we've had done has become a living nightmare, it's making us ill to think of how much we've spent and what we've been left with. We had one guy out who gave a very reasonable quote to remove mortar, re grout, clean and seal, but he's since gone out of business due to the recession - lucky escape there then. Any advice on what to do would be very helpful.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Black Limestone cleaning advice... HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought a house dated around the 1920/30s and found black and white tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I laid a full patio with black limestone last October on a full layer of concrete. I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.