Discuss blimey, im getting confused! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

Ok, so im new here, and thank god I found this site, I have been fitting bathrooms for about a year, and tiling, I have always asked my local shop what I should use, and he only supplies larsen, but I paid £33 for 20kg rapid set for wooden floors, hell is that right ? new shop opened round the corner and he does Palace and another brand which I cant remember, anyway the equivalent in the place brand is £10 !. what do you think of both products and price.

Another question is I am about to do a job next week on plaster walls, 300x600 x 10mm tiles from floor to ceiling with emulsion on walls, I need to stud 1 wall out to hide pipes etc, is 12.5mm plaster board not strong enough to fix these size tiles,if not should i use a backer board ?. what adhesive should I use. on the remaining walls i will check for blown plaster but can I just sand down and score for adhesion.

thanks in advance for your advice.

Ian

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi Ian. The first price sounds a bit high and you can do better but cant actually give you trade prices here. With regards to the job with 600 x 300 x 10mm tiles these are probably porcelain and will be heavy. If you work out the weight of them per sq mtr (6 tiles) you will see if you are within the limits...remember to allow for the adhesive. You are allowed 32kg per sq mtr for unskimmed plasterboard so you should be ok...but you only get 20kg per sq mtr for plaster so I wouldn't sand down and score those walls...better to overboard if you can. You will need to use a cement based adhesive and not a ready mix...with a 10mm notched float. Some adhesives have extra additives for porcelain...I always use BAL or Dunlop standard set which gives a 5 hour pot life. You must also prime the walls with the primer to match the adhesive you are using....dont use PVA!!! Good luck.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to blimey, im getting confused! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
blimey, im getting confused!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.