UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Boarding before tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DoraCake

Hi,

I'm gutting a bathroom I'm going to tile.

I was planning on dotting and dabbing the brick walls after I ripped off the old tiles. The tiles were only part of the way up the wall.

Bathroom.jpg

After Stripping the tiles (which were on 1" chipboard) I am left with around a 20 - 30mm step.

after.JPG

Whats the best course of action? I'm now thinking I'll batten the brick below then screw the plasterboard direct to both?

Removing the plaster above will be too much grief (dust & time)

Any advice gents?

ps - I'm tanking round the over bath shower :smilewinkgrin:

cheers

M

mattle40

You boys are quick!

I should also have said - the room is tiny so no room to stud the whole lot.

Always difficult situation, there's obviously always a solution to a problem
I would definatly rethink ripping everything off, as much of a pain as it is it would improve the installation,
Can you not put a polythene sheet over the doorway and keep window wide open with the vac going??

D

DoraCake

After Dotting and dabbing the bottom half of this wall I realised dotting and dabbing the second skin with the bath in may have been too much trouble. I ended up doing the whole wall with the second skin and now have a nice flat wall.

My next dilemna is tiling with the bath in. After reading all you helpful chaps on here I know the best way is to tile onto the bath as it creates a better seal. I'm concerned about damaging the bath and the pain in the *** of access when the bath is in though.

Is it possible to fit the bath, lay the bottom row of tiles along the bath and down the sides, let them set, remove the bath, tile and grout the remainder and then re-fit the bath?

Are there reasons why this is a bad idea? Any tips?

I'm also swithering wether to cut the bath into that second skin of PB as well.

cheers

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Boarding before tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve decided to re tile my bathroom walls and floors due to the poor state they were in when...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.