Discuss Boring Bathroom - suggestions on tile replacement in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

CeramicSid

Hello Tiling Masters!
I recently bought a place that has a recently tiled bathroom, but it's really plain and rather boring:

VIDEO0045.3gp - YouTube

The tiles are 25x20cm and are cheap aprox 8mm thick standard flat white tiles set portrait.

Any suggestions on how I can add some colour to this and make the room a little more interesting? I'd really like to avoid removing the whole lot - there are sound and only recently done.

I was thinking about raking a complete row out and replacing with a solid colour - but I think that may be a little too much as the are quite large? Also can’t find that many coloured tiles that are the same thickness.

Any help and suggestions gratefully received! :thumbsup:

any thanks,
Sid

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Tiles look ok to me. Personally I'd get rid of the shower curtain and replace with a screen. If you want colour and to make things look better put nice tiles down on the floor or use a lino. Also , consider putting 4 GU10 downlighters in but mke sure you use warm white bulbs which will give a yellow light over the tiles. You can also add colour by adding a venetian blind or roller blind.

C

CeramicSid

Thanks Martin!

Tiles look ok to me. Personally I'd get rid of the shower curtain and replace with a screen.

Funny you should mention a shower screen, that is part of the forming plan along with moving the shower to the other end of the bath. Do you think there would be a problem putting a screen/shower at the Non-tap end of the bath? Or would you advise turning the bath round completely?

Thanks!
Sid

M

Mike Mike

Thanks Mike, I see what you're saying, a practical bathroom. But I don't think the Mrs would be too chuffed to see a spring lamb swinging after a nice shower. Lol..

Sid,
What about something like this then? They are 25cm x 40cm x 7mm. Take out one row and lay these landscape et voila! A slightly less dull bathroom, but not as less dull as the slaughtered sheep option :lol:
Brighton Grey Field BCT Walls Tiles 400x250x7mm 1m2 | eBay

Brighton Black Field BCT Walls Tiles 400x250x7mm 1m2 | eBay

Brighton Truffle Field BCT Walls Tiles 400x250x7mm 1m2 | eBay

Sid,
What about something like this then? They are 25cm x 40cm x 7mm. Take out one row and lay these landscape et voila! A slightly less dull bathroom, but not as less dull as the slaughtered sheep option :lol:
Brighton Grey Field BCT Walls Tiles 400x250x7mm 1m2 | eBay

Brighton Black Field BCT Walls Tiles 400x250x7mm 1m2 | eBay

Brighton Truffle Field BCT Walls Tiles 400x250x7mm 1m2 | eBay

05022012741.jpg this is another from the brighton range would look good

Attachments

• 05022012740.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 36

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi CeramicSid,

Why don't you re-tile the bathroom altogether rather than patching it up? Or trying to make it look pretty?

You've got around 13 square metres on your wall, 2-3 on the floor. As a rough approximation it would cost you the following:

13 square metres of wall tile @ £20.00 per square metre = £260.00
Mosaic border or feature tiles (cost will obviously vary but a sheet of mosaic is about £14.99) = £50.00
Adhesive @ £25 per 20Kg (£75.00) Grout @ £12.00 = £87.00
Cheap floor tile 3sm @ £15.00 per square metre = £45.00
Cement board, plasterboard and any other repair materials budget approx £100.00

These are approximate and DIY outlet figures, they are not professional material costings and are based on doing the work yourself. These are not costings to get a professional in to do this work or supply the materials. (If you happen to go down the route of getting a few quotes please DO NOT quote these figures)

Patch up jobs never go the way they are planned. Your going into an unknown entity really. You could take a few tiles off to fit "feature tiles" and half the plasterboard wall could come away, you could chip, loosen, damage tiles as you remove the few you want to replace. Costings escalate this way and at what point do you then say, rip it out and start again?

This is of course just my opinion. But to be honest i can't really see anyway to make an features in your bathroom short of putting some kind of border, but the tiles are 250mm high, that's a BIG, THICK border for such a small room.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Boring Bathroom - suggestions on tile replacement in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB