Discuss Botched it up- I'm in the Dog House in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I have fitted insulation sheets on top of flex adhesive, but the result is not good as the sheets are not level. I have slightly raised sections and parts that slope slightly. I started off with SLC, but made the mix too thick meaning it didn't flow properly and refused to level as it set in 15mins. I sanded the SLC and decided I could get the insulation level on the adhesive bed. Wish I could start over, but have spent £400 on materials. Wish I had called in a professional. Can I use SLC on top of the insulation using a better mix followed by adhesive, or can I get the tiles level on an adhesive mix?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. Height is indeed a problem as there is a low beam in the kitchen. I have a straight metal edge that I am using together with a spirit level and have marked out where the raised sections and troughs are. If I use normal setting tile adhesive instead of the rapid set that I used beneath the insulation, would I be left with enough time to adjust adhesive as I lay? Is this a good approach. If not, I will get a professional to add a layer of SLC as advised before continuing. Thanks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Botched it up- I'm in the Dog House in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I have removed my old patio 60cm x 60cm concrete slabs which started from the back door of my...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Botched it up- I'm in the Dog House
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.