UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss bowed tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

13983-sunny-hill-finish-004.jpg

this splashback looked ok in brickbond, even tho' I told the contractor that imo they should be stacked....he was adamant he was right until the downlighters went on casting shadows down all the vertical joints

this is how it looked when I re-did it how I wanted, (and got paid twice :thumbsup:)

6455_1169075620136_1025320376_30530254_7727056_n.jpg

hi guys, this kind of scenario could escalate to a major problem for everyone concerned.as already mentioned the tiler could potentially be responsible for removal and replacement of tiles, if the tiler continues with the installation despite warning the client.i have never been in this situation myself. what would everyone do if after told by the client to carry on like nothstar was told? would you be firm and tell the client that you are not happy with the tile quality and will not continue? how far would you be prepared to go if the customer refuses to listen to your professional advice which may leave you carrying the can of responsibility later down the track? myself i have not had too many of these but every now and again we will get one. once i just walked away because the client didnt want to pay for waterproofing a deck over living space.:mad2:

J

jay

That is were it gets interesting. as stated on most tile boxes once laid no refund (or something like that) in my opinion the tradesman has the final call .if its gonna look crap when finished remember your name is on it,if the tiles are bowed or size variation then send them back the supplier wont learn any other way ,earlier this week i mentioned to the boss of the tile shop i use most that a certain tile he was selling was bowed bad ,his reply was (we only sell them we don't make them) well his wish was granted two days later when i rejected 65 meters square due to bow.yes same shop (KARMA)

That is were it gets interesting. as stated on most tile boxes once laid no refund (or something like that) in my opinion the tradesman has the final call .if its gonna look crap when finished remember your name is on it,if the tiles are bowed or size variation then send them back the supplier wont learn any other way ,earlier this week i mentioned to the boss of the tile shop i use most that a certain tile he was selling was bowed bad ,his reply was (we only sell them we don't make them) well his wish was granted two days later when i rejected 65 meters square due to bow.yes same shop (KARMA)

thats what i like to hear. :thumbsup: the thing is that some people will buy a load of tiles because thay are cheap.what they dont know is that they are cheap because they are end of line and no refund etc. i have a friend who did this and 12 months later asked my advice and guidance to lay (i couldnt install for him because of my accident) but wasnt in a position to reject them as upon inspection they were really sizey (3-6mm difference) and just had a hell of a time to lay them despite all i could do. the thing is that if this was a paying customer what would you do? you know its going to look horrible. do you get them to sign something that passes responsibility to the client?

if you cant make a good job out of it why do it
thanks for reminding me. my old man was the same ,if it wasnt going to add to his reputation then its not worth doing:thumbsup:
oh by the way jay tilingforumnz.com will be up and running soon just waiting on dans go ahead. you are only 2 hours away from us would be good to hear from you.:8:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

There is an allowable tolerance for warpage !! This is stated on many boxes !! Also some british / european standards blurb out there as well. I have had suppliers out numerous times... I cha;lenge you to find many porcelain tiles 300 & above that are not warped to some degree.It is due to the high temp firing process and the way they are dried.
Test .. lay one tile face up... then one tile face down on top.. if they do not touch everywhere they are warped... most do not.
Either stack em or use one third bond / and or increase your spacing. Job can still look great
You will end up sending loads of tiles back ... and not fixing any.,

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

13983-sunny-hill-finish-004.jpg

this splashback looked ok in brickbond, even tho' I told the contractor that imo they should be stacked....he was adamant he was right until the downlighters went on casting shadows down all the vertical joints

this is how it looked when I re-did it how I wanted, (and got paid twice :thumbsup:)

6455_1169075620136_1025320376_30530254_7727056_n.jpg
*looks nice like that m8. i think it is the same stone i have used a few times*
12090-image137.jpg

J

jay

There is an allowable tolerance for warpage !! This is stated on many boxes !! Also some british / european standards blurb out there as well. I have had suppliers out numerous times... I cha;lenge you to find many porcelain tiles 300 & above that are not warped to some degree.It is due to the high temp firing process and the way they are dried.
Test .. lay one tile face up... then one tile face down on top.. if they do not touch everywhere they are warped... most do not.
Either stack em or use one third bond / and or increase your spacing. Job can still look great
You will end up sending loads of tiles back ... and not fixing any.,

Have a look at Nero Granito floor and wall tiles 60x30 it is posable to get them near perfect maybe a bees dick in it

anyway why make a rectangle tile to lay strait bond ////////

While were on the subject why are they called RECTIFIED TILES norm is they started out as a 600x600 but were to bowed to get by standards so they cut them in half problem solved///
in other words second grade tiles

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to bowed tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi am Vinny, i am new to this forum and looking for advice on some old tiles that need replacing
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
bowed tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.