Discuss bowed tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

craigregan

Its true, the tiler should have made you aware of the situation at the start of the job. Unfortunately its something i find cropping up more and more due to tiles being produced in such mass quantity and not really having the care taken over them. You could find that another batch gets ordered and you have the same problem. Discreetly laying these tiles behind towel rails or window reveals etc. is an option but finding out all of this after the tiler finishes is a bit naughty

C

charlie1

IMO a good tiler will recognise bowed tiles on his second course during installation if doing brickbond. But what if the tilers chosen fixing method is to tile a datum line around the whole room then work up (like the way i do sometimes). Yes the tiler should notice all these things but so should the shop. Then what if punters are getting tiles from diy shops... we can see the obvious issues that can arise. I must admit, when starting a new job the main thing on my mind as a tiler is how to set out walls, rectify bent walls and negotiate the other problems that can happen during a normal installation. I remember when i first started tiling 5 year ago i used to empty all boxed and line tiles up to make sure they where all the same size. I sometimes think the finger can get pointed at the tiler too often but in your case, yes, he should have noticed a bit sooner. Im guessing he has used 3+mm grout joints?... pics would be good.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
wonder if the tile shop would of reinbursed him for his loss of a days pay till there crap tiles were sorted ,had he have noticed the problem..

as a fixer were employed to fix the tiles, if i supply and fix., then the problem is on my door step, which is why i charge a handling fee..

its a bit of a double edge sword,.....the problem should have been noticed and passed on to the customer, but like i said who pays for the tilers wasted time? the customer...tile shop? or dose the fixer loose out again...

T

Time's Ran Out

It's the tilers responsibility to fix tiles to a professional standard, so to blame the quality of the material is not an option - IMHO.
If he or the tiles were not up to providing the required finish then the job should not have been started.
We are all aware of the poor quality tiles that are available and even though the market is flooded with poor workmanship, a professional tiler should either be able to make an outstanding job or be of a strong enough character to walk away.

D

dave l and l

yeah we have all had this problem before. before fixing i have explained to customer that they are bowed and will show shadows on the grout line, on most occasions the customer has agreed to change the method of fixing, however on a couple of occasions the customer has not adhered to the advice given and then been slightly surprised with the end product. nowadays my first instinct is to give the customer other options rather than brick style
i do believe the tiler should have pointed this out to customer prior to starting or when he first noticed, but remember we only get oneside of the story on here
some pics would be handy in order to see the quality of work,

S

stevenflynn

In my opinion, the tiler must always inform of the situation. Even if he purchases the tiles or the client does it. It is typical that the larger the format the more inconveniences like this present themselves. I would recommend the tiler to figure it out for his client and to keep track of that material. These are situations that will continue to arise if not dealt with in a professional manner before placing the first tile. Would try and understand the client do ( all he has done is pay ). Maybe re-negotiate the job and check the next pieces before proceeding. Best of luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bowed tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB