Discuss boy this tiling lark is confusing ;-) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peterr

Hi guys,
I'm tiling a en-suite with a 20mm marine ply floor and one pasterboarded wall as the 4th side of 3 glass wall/door shower. I'm using 300x450 Porcelain and have topps tiles powder.
So a couple of quick questions - I'm going to SBR the floor but understand there's no need to do the wall but if I have some SBR then is it worth doing. Would adding SBR to the addie help(Bal seem to say yes for the floor but only on the wall with a thin skim).
Should I use a notched trowel as several spec sheets and a few post here seem to sugest a solid bed in wet areas .

Thanks for any help
Peter

G

grumpygrouter

You didn't say which Topps adhesive, only that it is powder. It needs to be a flexible adhesive for those tiles. If you are going to add anything to a powdered adhesive to aid flexibility it should really be a manufacturer specified additive.
Yes, you need a solid bed in wet areas and this can be achieved with a notched trowel, try a 10mm half round or a specific thinbed/solid bed trowel from the likes of BAL.

C

charlie1

Hi Peterr

A 100% solid bed of adhesive would be best described as pure, dense adhesive between the front of your wall and the back of you tile with absolutely no air pockets!! This is extremely hard to achieve! For the tile size you mention, I would use a 10mm, square or U notch trowel combed on to the wall, before you fix the tile, back skim the rear of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel then fix to wall! Your mix is key though, too dry and you will get less coverage as it will be harder to compress, too wet and your going to be cleaning up more than tiling! Follow the mixing instructions on the bag!

Good Luck!

P

peterr

Thanks for all you help, job all done and looking good. The plumber arrived this morning and commented what a great job the tiler had done ;-)
I mixed 6kg batches which seemed to work out OK and on the one occasion I got a tile a bit low I needed a foot long screwdriver to get it off the wall and that was after 2 minutes of laying it so I think I've got the coverage sussed.
Thanks once again
Peter

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to boy this tiling lark is confusing ;-) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm on with tiling all my downstairs rooms with 60cm x 60cm High Gloss 9mm tiles. All...
Replies
Views
I'm doing a second floor condo kitchen, 6' by 9' of tile area. The surface is gypsumite...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
boy this tiling lark is confusing ;-)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.