Discuss Broken anhidrite screeds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Dave the shuttering was at the only entrance into the apartments, these were fixed by UK screeders across all the doorways so I suppose they were required, actually if you had watched the pour then you would have seen just how liquidified the screeds were, no shuttering and the communual hallways would have been full.

On a site you can have people walking on freshly laid floors within minutes regardless of the large sign warning to stay off.

As mentioned previously I will post pictures later, that will make this thread a lot easier to explain.

A

Aston

sounds definately as though the fault is due to people walking on the screed before its set. 48 hours is the usual minimum time.
because the screed is over under floor heating and not a bonded screed, then this is going to be more tricky. they can be reparied but more info would be needed...

were stress relief joints used at the threshholds
what depth was poured??

i have a contact at csc screeds who will gladly help you out. if you need his name and number, then let me know. they are experts in floors screeds and they'll put your straight. you'll be able to send them photos etc

best of luck
ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It is very repairable generally but depends on several factors not least of all the cause of the cracking. I would like to see some pics before commenting further. If you are able you should take some pics in cross section of the screed to show the depth and also if possible give me an idea of the floor make up and the insulation type, when it was screeded etc etc . The more info the better to be honest but I understand some of this might be difficult so a picture can say a thousand words. If you don't want to publish in the forums the project details send me a P.M....it may well be one I have been involved with myself.

D

diamondtiling

100_0871.jpg 100_0869.jpg 100_0870.jpg 100_0869.jpg 100_0868.jpg 100_0867.jpg 100_0866.jpg 100_0865.jpg 100_0864.jpg

One picture shows the sub floor of a typical apartment, this has foam type insulation fitted and the UFH fitted over it. The screed is tarmac topflow and is approximately 50mm thick. Before anyone asks I am not laying these screeds or recommending them, that is all down to the architect. I just have the problem of mending the damage before fixing. UK screeds are saying that they laid the screeds in accordance with Tarmacs methods. I think they are pretty thin although they do seem very strong.

One floor out of some 230 failed and was removed by the contractor at their expense.

Attachments

• 100_0872.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 164

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Oh my lord what a mess some of those are. I would suggest that the best thing would be to cut back some of the screeds to form nice neat edges then re-instate using bagged Gyvlon screed. Tarmac Truflow is a Gyvlon based screed so the two are fully compatible, You will need to prime the open edge of the old screed first though. If you need to know where you can get this from PM me.

The cracks look to me like they are at points of restraint or near to where the screed should have been jointed. There is little point in repairing these cracks unless something is put in place to control movement under thermal loadings. The screed should have joints at door thresholds, between independent heating zones and points where unheated meets heated. Additional joints should be placed where the aspect ratio exceeds 8:1 - e.g. long thin corridors of which you appear to have several. The screed should be a minimum depth to allow 30mm cover to any underfloor heating pipes. typically this would mean a minimum 45mm but nominal 50mm.

It also looks quite damp....when was it screeded??

NO coverings should be applied until after the underfloor heating has been comissioned and run. The screed also looks like it will need the surface cleaning up.......a rotary floor sander with medium to coarse paper should suffice......this will also remove any surface laitance. Laitance should be removed before the heating is run if possible as it will become harder if left in place. If you need a contact for Tarmac who would be able to advise further again PM me.

D

diamondtiling

Hi Al and thanks for your reply. None of these floors have been heated prior to the tiles being fitted, that again is not my decision but the Architects. Norcross have supplied the matt (thermalay) that they say will stop any de-coupling.
The 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd floor have all been turned on and run at full temperature for some two weeks without any problems (yet)

There is no point in me trying to get this part of the job done before tiling as it comes under the Architects say so. I do have a machine on site for removing the laitence, they then get two or three coats of sbr prior to tiling.

I will take your advice regarding the repairs. Those particular screeds have been down for 3 weeks, we have another 70 to do which are due to be laid next week.
Pm me your mobile number please Al and i will call you on Monday if thats ok?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi Al and thanks for your reply. None of these floors have been heated prior to the tiles being fitted, that again is not my decision but the Architects. Norcross have supplied the matt (thermalay) that they say will stop any de-coupling.
The 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd floor have all been turned on and run at full temperature for some two weeks without any problems (yet)

There is no point in me trying to get this part of the job done before tiling as it comes under the Architects say so. I do have a machine on site for removing the laitence, they then get two or three coats of sbr prior to tiling.

I will take your advice regarding the repairs. Those particular screeds have been down for 3 weeks, we have another 70 to do which are due to be laid next week.
Pm me your mobile number please Al and i will call you on Monday if thats ok?

07545 932723. It is a works number so I am not too worried if it appears on here mate.

Reply to Broken anhidrite screeds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Broken anhidrite screeds
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.