Discuss Broken floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

T

tileman

Morning all,

I went to look at a floor tile repair job yesterday, the entire ground floor was tiled with the same tile and grout, onto concrete with underfloor heating and NO expansion joints.
This is a straight run of about 15m with three door openings equally spaced along the run, the tiles in each doorway have broken .... well to be correct 'shattered'.

I think the problem is the narrow door openings, along with the underfloor heating pipes going through them and no expansion joints.

I have to remove the tiles and fit new, I am thinking of using Granfix UltimateFlex adhesive and silicone for the expansion joints.

Any advice and opinions are welcome.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get silicone to match grout colours, the lady wants it to match if possible.

Regards John

D

DHTiling

The only prob i see you have here , is that the tiles will be whole tiles as they run through the doorways, so they will have to be trimmed to allow for an expansion joint.
Unles you can trim them ultra neatly then you will have a raw edge to contend with.
I would suggest using maybe a pre-made movement joint and these can be got in various colours from Schluter UK but can be bought from local stockists.And will give a better finish to the edge....

If they are travertine etc..then no probs just smooth the edge.......

good luck and let us know how you went about it...........:thumbsup:

T

TilingLogistics

If you have to lift the tiles out of the doorways because thats where they are all cracked the stress problems are obviously in the doorways.

I would lift the old tiles from all the doorways. Then cut out the architraves/Skirtings around the doors with a fein machine to accept the tile sliding slightly under. Then install my expansion joints under the architrave using silcone and hey presto no scruffy edges and expansion joint installed:thumbsup:

Kev

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Broken floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB