UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Browning as a substrate for tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Droopy

No, Browning/Bonding coats are unsuitable for tiling onto.
They are too weak, and too porous. They need to be covered with a finish coat before tiling to.

But in your situation, again, I think this will be unsuitable. The weight limit for plastered walls is only 20kg per sqm. It is very likely your Trav' will exceed this.
The other problem you would have is the drying time. There is a 4 week drying period before plaster can be tiled to.

Whereas BAL Quickset Render can be tiled after only 2 hours.

D

Droopy

I could well do as there is a fair depth to make up in places - what board could you recommed given its got to hold 400 x 400 travertine? - I would have to dot an dab the boards

If it is a Bathroom/Shower room, the dry areas should still be moisture resistant 12.5mm (Green board). This could also be used in the wet areas, but MUST be tanked. BAL WP1 would do the job.
Or the wet areas could be lined with a Tile backer board, such as Wedi.

If it is a Wetroom, the tanking should be extended to the "dry" areas to a height of 1m. And ofcourse the entire floor should be tanked too.

S

Spirit

Without knowing the surface and thickness you are trying to achieve, it is hard to give an exact answer, but assuming that the surface is solid and reasonably flat, I would dot & dab a tile backer board, with securing screws inserted the following day for extra security. If the surface is a poor, scratch up with sand/cement render first. The render will be dry enough to fix the boards after two days.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Browning as a substrate for tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.