UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss buff yellow floor brick pamments , buried under latex screed for 30 years. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

a bottle of gin

hi guys. ive found my original kitchen floor in my cottage. it was buried under a latex floor screed for 30 odd years. it is made from yellow floor brick pamments (or it could just be yellow bricks).
anyhow , they look like they have been sealed over their life time and have dulled down to a gray colour , this could also be because of the screed that was poured over the top of them. in fact , thinking about it its most likely the screed that has stained them.
the pic shows the floor brick and a clean pamment beside it to give you a rough idea of what they should look like.
any ideas on how to clean these is most welcome , ive tried scrubbing them with a metal pan scrubber with no joy.

Attachments

• P220210_19.21.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 55
A

a bottle of gin

thank you , very kind of you to offer fella , they are all up in suffolk apart from this one but its now clean, .
i did read that acetone removed old sealant so , being bored i decided that as acetone is an ingredient in toilet cleaner and as tescos are doing a 3 for a quid deal on harpic i decided to try some.
i soaked the brick in water then left the harpic on there for around an hour. a scrub with a pan cleaner and hey presto , the gray gunk , whatever it was came off. not without a fight but it did shift eventually.

what do you think guys? will sealant remover work if harpic toilet limescale remover worked?

Attachments

• P240210_19.25.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to buff yellow floor brick pamments , buried under latex screed for 30 years. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
C
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to clean black algae stains from the face of old clay...
Replies
Views
confusedyouwill
C
Hi there this is my first post from me. I have been renovating my house for the last 2+ years...
Replies
Views
Kinda new here, so hi to you all. I have been using Tops tiles flexi rapid set for years now and...
Replies
Views
O
Just completed a project which I found to be quite a challenge. Tiling a downstairs cloak with...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.