UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Cararra Marble - Silicone Seals? Appropriate types in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TheLaird

i have a bathroom - Which I would like to do with carrara marble floor and wall tiles

Where the floor and wall meets I would like fill witha silicone bead.

The product which offers the best colour match to the grout is from the mapei mapesil ac. range.

On the technical sheet it states that its not good for acid sensitive tiles.

Is marble sensitive to acid , being a metamorphic structure rather than sedimentary.

Any advice greatly received.

TIA

TheLaird

T

Topshop

I am not sure of the silicone content of their caulk but you do not want to use a 100% silicone with a carrera - The oils from the caulk will sink into a white stone like that and darken (look oily) the edges - forever. The oil in the silicone solidifies the translucent particles of the white marbles. You would be better off using an acrylic caulk with a white stone unless the edges have been well sealed prior.

Marble is a calcite and that is why it is acid sensitive - it has nothing to do with matamorphic and sedimantary. Limestone is sedimantary while marble is metamorphic - both the same basic ingredients (calcium) - both acid sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
as above never had any problems with mapesil silicone, seal marble prior siliconing, if you worried also you can make a sample and see what's happening when silicone applyed, just finished big job with carrara marble and used mapesil, i was using 3 types of silicons: white, clear and silver grey 111. gf fndgndndgn.JPG here its done with white flush with the stone and clear on top
good luck ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cararra Marble - Silicone Seals? Appropriate types in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
B
Hi all, Wanted some advice on the best Silicone to use. Im installing a wetroom shower screen...
Replies
Views
M
E
Hi, I am proceeding (slowly) with my first tiling job. Floor tiled, all walles tiled, floor...
Replies
Views
El Kabong!
E
C
Wet Vs Dry polishing, which is better? We get asked this daily. There is really no definitive...
Replies
Views
Turkish tiler
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.