UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Career Changer looking for info & help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lamsec

Hi All

Im just really looking for a little help. Im looking for a career change,im 37 so couldnt do a apprentiship due to large outgoings etc & would like to look into tiling. I have done a little tiling here & there but would like to do it as a career but just want to find out a few things. Are these tiling courses actually worth their money? i.e do they actaully teach you the basic fundamentals to start up as a competent tiler & be able to do a majority of day to day site/private work? I know you cant learn everything in a 3 week course but when I was at school tilers did YTS for 3 years to learn their trade. To have an eveyday set of tools i.e tiler cutters etc what is the rough cost of tools to get you started to be able to cope with a majority of day to day site & private work? Also do you need to have an NVQ to be able to do site work? If these courses dont give a full NVQ I assume it's then done by assessment of work? If thats the case would you have to complete & get assessed private work first before you gained enough "credits" to gain an NVQ qualification to allow you on site?
I have contacted a couple of companies on here for info & broucheres etc so waiting for their replies but any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Lee

R

rab glasgow

I done a tiling course with NETT i went to newcastle to do it and i can say that Darren n Tracy are wonderful people and darren really knows his stuff. Id never laid a tile before and now im quite confident at going doing it i have already done a couple of jobs and its still a learning curve but with NETT as a career change they will point you in the right direction the simplest way money well spent .....Rab

M

Max@ableskills

Hi All

Im just really looking for a little help. Im looking for a career change,im 37 so couldnt do a apprentiship due to large outgoings etc & would like to look into tiling. I have done a little tiling here & there but would like to do it as a career but just want to find out a few things. Are these tiling courses actually worth their money? i.e do they actaully teach you the basic fundamentals to start up as a competent tiler & be able to do a majority of day to day site/private work? I know you cant learn everything in a 3 week course but when I was at school tilers did YTS for 3 years to learn their trade. To have an eveyday set of tools i.e tiler cutters etc what is the rough cost of tools to get you started to be able to cope with a majority of day to day site & private work? Also do you need to have an NVQ to be able to do site work? If these courses dont give a full NVQ I assume it's then done by assessment of work? If thats the case would you have to complete & get assessed private work first before you gained enough "credits" to gain an NVQ qualification to allow you on site?
I have contacted a couple of companies on here for info & broucheres etc so waiting for their replies but any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Lee

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum.
Great to see that you are interested in joining the trade. We are one of a few centres that can get you to NVQ level 2 but you are right that after you have completed your training course you will need to complete your NVQ portfolio whilst in the workplace. Feel free to give us a call on 01322 280202 and speak to one of our course advisors and all will be explained over the phone. Good luck

T

TIP TOP

hi lee,
ive actually just taken on a female tiler who has just spent £2500 on an intensive tiling course and after working with me for 3 weeks she says her money has been totally wasted as the course provided her with a perfect world were all is dead flat and level.Now in the real world she is learning how to get over major problems using levelling compounds and in instances re-bonding walls as they are so far out.My advice to you would be to try and tag along with an experienced tiler for a few months that way you will learn the trade properley.hope that helps.
good luck pete

D

Daz

Good advice Pete,

But a few months will not be a sufficient timescale. Also, the OP will not earn sufficient money to be able to justify this.

Select your short course carefully, (take the time to look at our courses feedback section) and aim to enter tiling by starting with the smaller easier jobs first.
As your confidence and knowledge grows you will be able to undertake more demanding and better paying work.

Regards,

Daz

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Best option.... do your research... look for good local tilers in your area.... keep your money... offer your services for free, on the job training.. best way to learn initially..
I did a 3 day course to start with, but tiling on the job with a good experienced tiler is a better option.
Be enthusiastic, turn up on time, watchm listen and observe, dfo not ask too many questions initially, just follow his lead, do as you are asked.
give it a try.. we do not bite.. if I had a call from a genuine enthusiastic guy ( or gal ) offering their services for free, to learn I would happily oblige & also pay em a bit as well if they were worth their salt !!

B

bluefox

Hi, I'm 36 and I started out earlier this year through training courses with my previous job having come to an end. The course and provider was excellent, cannot fault course content, however, i've found it really hard on 2 counts out in the real world - 1) don't underestimate how long it takes to get up and running depending on where you live, how many people you currently know etc; 2) be prepared to walk away from a fair few jobs initially because they're beyond what you can do right now and it would be irresponsible and only reflect badly when you get yourself in a mess beyond your experience. Which, all means financially i couldn't have done it without my wife picking up the strain financially.
Ironically, I'm considering more training as i'm looking at changing my business strategy from tiling/plastering in to more of a "handyman" style general small odd job work offering basic plumbing / painting / decorating etc etc aswell so i don't keep getting calls asking me to plaster large high artexed ceilings which is beyond my current skill to be honest and not really what i ever had in mind doing.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Career Changer looking for info & help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi all; We're looking at hiring skilled Wall/floor tilers to join our team in Canberra...
Replies
Views
Muhammad fiaz
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Career Changer looking for info & help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.