Discuss ceramic (non porcelain) tiles on bathroom floor - why not in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cowgomoo

Hi Y'all, is it a matter of strength or porosity or wear & tear or just what precisely. Surely thousands of m2 have been tiled non porcelain before porcelain became within the budget of most people and if they all came off or were crappy then the fashion for tiling floors would never have got started except for the super rich ? Just been bugging me and I like to know the answers, Cow.

D

Deleted member 9966

hi cow

I have ceramic tiles on my en-suite and bathroom floors. They are glazed but not shiny, one room has totally smooth tiles and the other has bumpy tiles. both rooms have been down for more than a year now and I've had no problems with the floor tiles in either room. Both sets of tiles were 9-10mm from what I remember so I don't think they will wear out too soon :)

D

Deleted member 9966

Very interesting, so maybe you think it may just be a wear and tear problem in a kitchen or a hallway or any other heavy traffic area ? Cow

I have ceramics in my kitchen, hallway and utility room. All 3 areas are high traffic areas as we use the front door to get into the house (hallway), we have to go through the kitchen to get to the back door in the utility room and the utility room houses the dog, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. I've seen no wear or tear problems in any of those areas yet. Kitchen floor has been down almost 3 years, grout lines are dirty because I used a beige grout rather than a grey. But all of the other rooms appear fine. Grout isn't failing, none of the tiles are damaged despite mine and Mr GRR's best efforts at being clumsy.

My reason for choosing ceramics is because I didn't have a lot of money to spend on tiles. Considering travertine and porcelain cost upwards of £16 a square metre, I chose cheaper ceramics in my house for now, and spent the £16sqm on lovely carpets upstairs :grin:

T

TPW

Hi Cow

It all to do with the PEI rating of the tiles the higher the rating the more durable the tile (the scale is from 0-5) so for a main toilet shower room you would really want a tile with a PEI of 3.
PEI 0 - Tiles technically unsuitable for floors.
PEI 1 - Residential and commercial wall and bare foot traffic.
PEI 2 - Wall and residential bath floor, and soft soled traffic.
PEI 3 - All residential floors and light commercial floors.
PEI 4 - Medium commercial, light industrial and institutional, moderate soiling.
PEI 5 - Extra heavy traffic, abrasive dirt, chemically more resistant.
hope this helps.

G

grumpygrouter

No particular reason Grumps other than received wisdom, would non porcelain be acceptable in a wet room too ?
A lot would depend on the situation I suppose. If the wet room had only little use i.e a guest bathroom then any water ingress may be small and evaporate back out again. Also epoxy grout would help with ceramic as would sealing the grout too, though normally it would be easier and better to use porcelain if there was as style the customer liked.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to ceramic (non porcelain) tiles on bathroom floor - why not in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, first time on this forum, so apologies if this has not been done correctly. I need a...
Replies
Views
Picks06
P
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Tiling Courses at The DIY School in Manchester enable men and women who have little or no...
Replies
Views
How do I keep that clean shiny look for my tile floor? One thing we are told time and time again...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB