UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Ceramic tile warpage tolerance in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: Tony and
:welcome: Versa tile Essex

Funny enough I just printed off a Tile specification for a 600 x 600 x 10mm polished porcelain tile and it states the ISO requirements are +/- 0.5 mm for surface flatness, Edge curvature, centre curvature, and warpage . Although it is not clear where their tiles are manufactured, the company is Midlands based and produces it's own ranges of other manufactured tiles which are +/- 0.2 for the above. It would seem you need to go to the Tile manufacturers site and check their specifications charts.
Usually Italian porcelain are some of the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

I have some 60cm ceramic tiles which I am installing for a customer. The tiles are slightly convex and there is a 2mm gap in the middle of the tile when I put a spirit level across the edges. The customer is complaining and wants to know if there a manufacturing tolerance for the tiles and does 2mm in 60 cms exceed the tolerance
it doesn't make any difference to the tolerances but i think the tiles are concave not convex by your description

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've just done a job where the tiles were supposed to be 445mm square. When I first started fixing them I thought i'd got my 2 and 3 mm spacers mixed together. Alas, that was not the case. When I measured the tiles some were square but a lot of them were 444mm on the two perpendicular sides and 446mm on the other 2. So when the tiles were put on the wall and the 2 446mm edges were in a line, the tiles touched, but along the joint it opened up to 4mm. Explained this to the customer and laid them dry on the floor to show her. I got my thinking head on and rotated the tile 180 degrees (not back to front) so the joint then evened out. It was a long process and customer complained to the supplier, not my supplier I hasten to add, and they gave her some money back and she paid me extra for making the tiles look good. :thumbsup: Where possible I try to supply the tiles, generally Spanish or Italian and don't have any problems.

J

jay

I've just done a job where the tiles were supposed to be 445mm square. When I first started fixing them I thought i'd got my 2 and 3 mm spacers mixed together. Alas, that was not the case. When I measured the tiles some were square but a lot of them were 444mm on the two perpendicular sides and 446mm on the other 2. So when the tiles were put on the wall and the 2 446mm edges were in a line, the tiles touched, but along the joint it opened up to 4mm. Explained this to the customer and laid them dry on the floor to show her. I got my thinking head on and rotated the tile 180 degrees (not back to front) so the joint then evened out. It was a long process and customer complained to the supplier, not my supplier I hasten to add, and they gave her some money back and she paid me extra for making the tiles look good. :thumbsup: Where possible I try to supply the tiles, generally Spanish or Italian and don't have any problems.

some tiles come with a directional arrow on the back if you use it it helps others will have a bit of glazing or color on the edge indicating the way the tile was processed ,if you use them it does help

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
some tiles come with a directional arrow on the back if you use it it helps others will have a bit of glazing or color on the edge indicating the way the tile was processed ,if you use them it does help

Looked for those before I started, no arrows. Did have glazing on one edge but they wouldn't have fallen right by following the edge. They were made in Argentina, a new one on me. I prefer their corned beef to their tiles.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ceramic tile warpage tolerance in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.