Discuss Cheapskate tile cutting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SB4U

Was just getting my tools out of the garage ready for tiling to start this weekend and I'm embarrassed to say that I've discovered my manual tile cutter isn't big enough to cut the 300x600 ceramic tiles I've got. I can't quite believe I've now got to go and spend even more money on this project, it's getting ridiculous now. Anyway, I need to get something big enough to cut them and also some 330mm floor tiles on the diagonal, but don't want to spend loads. Do you have any suggestions?

I saw a wet tile cutter on Amazon for £39.99 (Vitrex 103402 Diamond Blade Tile Cutting Saw) which is cheaper than some of the manual ones and has good reviews but doesn't say its maximum size.It looks tiny in the pics though.VITREX 103402 Diamond Blade Tile Cutting Saw: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Otherwise there's a manual one at Wickes for £49.99 that looks like it might do the job. Wickes Tile Cutter 600mm | Wickes.co.uk

Or a hand held manual contraption here. Vitrex 10 1500 Pro Series Heavy-duty Tile Cutter, VIT101500 at Tool Shop Direct I don't know whether that would do the job though of course.

Or perhaps to be on the super cheap I could just use a tile scribe and some matchsticks. Would that even work on a 600mm length?

What do you reckon? I want to not spend much money but also not have loads of fails on my tile breaks. My wife says I have Champagne tastes with beer money.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
S

SB4U

Well that looks pretty unanimous. My cutter choices are obviously rubbish lol. I think I'd prefer to get a half decent one and sell it on ebay than hire one. I've never been that impressed when I've hired tools before.

@Andy Allen you're quite right, it would have been cheaper, easier, less stressful, etc etc to have got a tiler in but actually.... I'm enjoying it though. It's like a little hobby for me. I've got small children so hardly ever go out, I hate watching tv and I work in a pokey office tap tap tapping away at a computer all day long so this is a nice change. I actually feel like a real man for once. And if it goes well I'll feel like a hero.

If it goes badly I'll blame you guys for giving me terrible advice though. :grinning:

S

SB4U

After procrastinating for a while and battling on with my old tools I finally bought the big clinker. I'm actually really amazed at how good it is!

When I posted the link last week it was 109.99 and I decided I didn't really want to pay that so battled on with my cheapskate cutting methods. But then yesterday I saw that it had been reduced to 79.99 so bit the bullet and went for it.

I'm most surprised at how little pressure you need to apply, both with scoring and with snapping. It's effortless and leaves a really crisp cut line. Up until yesterday I was scoring HARD multiple times with a scribe and then snapping with an old cheap cutter I had, trying to apply hard but controlled pressure until I could see the line appearing down the score. I only had one casualty but it was a right pain.

Anyway. Thanks for the recommendations. Amazing how much easier things are if you have the proper tools. Whoda thought it?

Reply to Cheapskate tile cutting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m after a new hand held wet & dry saw cos my dewalts had it, and been looking at the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Tiling my bathroom first time and going well so far! 600x300 ceramics on walls and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB