UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss cheeky builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

Got a phone call from a builder I job for last year, at the time I did his job he promised me loads of tiling work and named the jobs he wanted to use me on, I did a really difficult job for an important client which won him 6 penthouses as the client was so pleased with what we had done cut a long storey short i didnt get any of the promised work but he has asked me to do another difficult job ,I asked him what tiles he was using and he said he didnt know as he had so much tiling work on that he was sure which tiles were going where,I couldnt help my self but I asked who was doing All his tiling work and he told me a mate of his does it cheaper than me but cant do the complicated job he has asked me to do ,I feel like telling him to go west and get his cheaper tiler to do it as I know I will just be given the sheet stuff his other tiler doesnt fancy what would you do ?:mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Gary - We have the same dilemma - over the past 10 years or so a company across the road 'use' our services on and off at will. If I can't do the work on a Tuesday when he wants it done, he gets someone else.
But when he wants a stone job/his own house/an ex footballer etc we get the work. We still have to be competitive but as it adds up over a 12 month period and he pays on completion - so we do as much as we want, when he wants!
It's good to know you are respected for the work you do, and I think - it's another few days work.

S

Spud

here are a few pictures of the first one I tiled 13 floors up and we had to load out all the materials

Attachments

• DSC02272.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC02279.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC02286.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02294.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0553.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0554.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0560.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0556.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0557.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0562.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 65

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd take it on but make sure you charge well for it. I'd also mention that you're only charging said rate as it is quite a complex job (take the words out of his mouth for him haha) but say on easy work you would be more competitive and you'd like to price the odd job up that isn't so complex for him to see how you fair.

And then off the back of that try to find out how much 'his mate' is charging for the 'easy' jobs you price up. And see if you think you can match it or beat it a little and whether it's worth it. IF it's not worth it for you, you've lost nothing. If it's still working out profitable, perhaps consider doing it if he takes you up on your prices.

It's business at the end of the day so I'd try to gain as much of his as you can. Perhaps while biting the tongue the odd time while you're at it mind.

T

tfs

I dont htink there will be too many guys in your area that can do that job mate.

I would take him asking you as a compliment. At the same time I can totaly see where you are coming from as it would be nice for him to show some loyalty for hard work.

Business is business and I can see where he is coming from if he is saving money.

I would do the job if I was you. I wouldnt even entertain the though of discounting though as that is some old school tiling, you wont see any chancer making a success of a job like that. I have only ever done that at college with little quarry tiles but can imagine the work of doin a large area like that, double the work when you think of all the hand balling required up to a pent house.

PRICE ACCORDINGLY MATE!

Like i said, BUSINESS IS BUSINESS - as he has already demonstrated by using his mate rather than you to save some cash

good luck mate

and cracking work in those pics too

Reply to cheeky builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.