Discuss chipboard confusing ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

I've always over boarded chip board but starting to wonder Y ?? iam tiling a hallway floor at the min which i overlaid with ply, the customers questioned why i was over boarding and priming the undersides of the ply and the step he would have going from the hallway to the kitchen, so i gave him the info regarding moisture etc and stated you can't tile onto chipboard etc.. he pointed out and showed me his kitchen that was tiled 12 years ago directly over chipboard. and hasn't failed .. ? also reading some old posts on hear and most say its fine to tile directly over chipboard if it has been treated ? ( green colour ) . also was thinking would it be ok to prime chipboard with SBR then use a 2 part flexi to avoid the step and cost ? :8:

2020Tiling

you can't really tile onto chipboard because if it ever gets wet it will virtually crumble into nothing unlike treated wbp ply,if this guys kitchen ever floods(washing machine etc) then i doubt he will ever have a tiled floor left!

i see your point m8 , but if the customers kitchen got flooded and the tiles came up it would be a insurance job to fix it not the tilers fault ?? IE the kitchen fitter wouldn't have to put a new kitchen in if the units got wet ? :thumbsup:

2020Tiling

It's not so much the issues with damp but chipboard is not structurally stable enough IMO to tile directly to.
i agree ! but BAL do a 2 part flexi for chipboard floors and the lads at a certain Tile Giant store recommends the BAL addy and stated to one of my customers that there is no need to overboard chipboard :yikes: ? iam not moaning but if iam telling the customer one thing then the so called experts say different it kind of makes me look like a cowboy :beatdeadhorse5: :thumbsup:

L

lent

Having just moved into new accomodation where floor tiling is failing,i can strongly reccommend avoiding chipboard. Turns out that the previous tenants had a plumbing failure in the kitchen.600x600 porcelains and grout is/are cracking and loose. I suspect that there is still a lot of water laying under the floating floor,and that it will be some time before it evaporates completely.
The fitted kitchen may have to be removed. The tiling follows through the ground floor,so overlaying the existing material is not on.
Though the insurance company will pick up the tab.......So much hassle!!!!!!!!

If only the Builder,the Plumber and the tiler had done their respective jobs correctly!

Totally unnconnected,the kitchen sing bowl collapsed...fell out of the unit!!!!!!!
The house is two years old,and lucky for us,but not the builder...he lives next door :)

So...avoid chipboard,especially in wet areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to chipboard confusing ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
chipboard confusing ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.