UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Chrome Inset Trim for Mosaic Wet Room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

attacama40

Hi there, new to this so bear with me.

We have a large walk in wet room built about 10 yrs back. It was starting to see better days so have just rebuilt it but retained the top section above head height which was perfect condition.

Normal build, studded, backer board, Homelux matting etc. Is about 2mtrs x 1.5mtrs. Have installed 4 body jets, a Giessdorf head & an Aussie Rainshower silder.

Peculiarities: all the room corners are coved to 116mm, including the ceiling. That is why we retained the top section which was built using white Italian glass mosaic tiles...quite expensive.

The new built part (below head height) has been done in cheaper ceramics, 330mm Sq mosaics. Cheaper but look surprisingly good. The coving down the 4 corners was rebuilt & the result is good.

We knew that it would be necessary to probably put a cosmetic break between the new & old section but I didn't realise how hard it would be to find a decent inset chrome trim to put in the grout gap between the old and the new areas.

I looked at the normal non-flexible options but have not so far found anything that looks designed it, more added on.

What I'm looking for: Ideally a thin chrome trim (or similar) trim, maybe 2-3mm thick that could fit into the grout gap. Also ideally flexible so that the 116mm corners can be accommodated. So essentially imagine a 2x1.5mtr rectangle with curved corners.

Worst case we could add a cosmetic surface mounted trim but I think that would look a bit poor. Somewhere someone makes a flexible metal (or plastic finish metal) trim but I've looked all over e.g car trims, carpentry resources etc but so far to no avail. Have read a lot of very very useful material on here during our very long in the tooth renovation & its been a god send. I'm hoping one of you have the silver bullet! :)

Many thanks for any ideas in advance

A

attacama40

Think i get it try this Stainless Steel Angle | B.A.T. Trims

it can be curved but you need to slice the back a certain way hope this helps

Wow - many thanks for the speed of response. Have to say this is a step up from the plastic/metal ones in the diy places for sure.

It's quite hefty in build but for sure with some thought could be modified and curved. And I like the stainless steel nature of it.

It's really odd that this should be so hard to find. I can track down the chrome inserts for older cars like Mini's etc but they are two big. We have used these to set into hardwood skirtings with great effect in the past but hard to get something thinner.

Just after posting this thread I found something that looked like it might do it but the accumulated thickness is way too much...useful materials mind. Attached here....the one I was looking at is the 1.5mm U.

Just Stainless - Stainless Steel Tile & Edge Trim

Many thanks for the advice.....if I can a bit of a resource pool going here it will help me and maybe others later.

cheers again

Last edited by a moderator:
A

attacama40

Stumped me! Especially if you want something that's flexible. Have you got a plastics supplier near you? One that does soffit and uPVC trimmings. Don't know if you'll get anything as slim as 2 to 3mm though but you might find something you can trim down.

Hi there, again many thanks for the quick feedback.

Yes we have a few folks who do the Upvc stuff, they have a lot of good materials but as you say nothing that small.

Ironically I have a Freesat box that only the other day, a piece of plastic chrome front trim fell off....is perfect fit and function. So if you see 24 Freesat boxes on ebay minus the chrome trim you will know why :)

Keep saying it, but it amazes me that it's not more common detailing of this sort...despite my specific issue I'd have thought in the tiling world it would have been the sort of thing that has been done.

Thanks for the pointer

A

attacama40

trim line sell a trim forming machine stock no 4607 this will do the job make sure you haggle on the price :thumbsup:

Ray hi there....this could be the one. The A Trim Flat Listello is way bigger than we had in mind but if I read it right, its 25mm width which means we could remove a run of the old mosaic and replace with this. It looks fairly easy to form on the radius's as well. It could work really well.

Do you know anyone who stocks or we can order it from? Online or shop?

Many thanks for this

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Chrome Inset Trim for Mosaic Wet Room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Advice needed, noticed some grout that was cracked and tiles becoming loose in our en suite wet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.