UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Cis? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concept PHT

I have a CIS(4) card, and basically what it is, is a ID card to prove you are registered for income tax with the Inland Revenue.

How it works is you sub contract to a company for a job, you do the job, they then pay you direct into your bank after you invoice them, less the 18% for tax (or 22% if your a sole trader). You then dont get taxed again for that job. But you must rememeber to invoice them and keep copy's in your file for your accountant. Otherwise the Inland Revenue will not know where the money has come from and you may get taxed again on it.

I sub contract for a few companies here, and they didn't want to know unless I had CIS registration. And soon you will also need CSCS.

:)

B

Benny B

dont always jump for the cis card. i found just advertising myself in tile shops got me the work i could charge what i wanted for.

when you go down the cis route you tend to find you can never get out of it and actually..... you are pretty much employed on rubbish rates.

nice to have one if you need the work and have something brewing to get you out of it when you get sick of it. but it isnt the way to go for all new tilers. just my two cents.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I agree to be fair. Never really done too much sit work as I don't have the CIS Card, but when I have been on sites doing private work (customers mortgage has gone through or whatever and it's not the builders building anymore) I've spoken to many of the tilers and they all seem to not love it but get along with it, I just see no progression, you get to be a site manager or something but if you love to tile, why do that?

If you don't want to manage a team, staff or whatever... the money is in private work, not subbing out, not contracting yourself, not doing site work. Or at least that's what it seems to me.

The guys grabbing site work the first time will no doubt be walked all over. The guys actually making a business and marketing their skills etc are the ones who post pictures on here and stuff, they earn their money, they love their work, they generally don't do too much site work..... that's all. :)

Just my opinion by the way, a contractor will definitely say something totally different.

C

Concept PHT

The money is good on the sites I have been on and the subbing for conservatory companies is good too - easy tiling that can be done rapid style.

The domestic work is better paid naturally, but unfortunately where I am from, the competition is very tight. The calls come in, but you are getting underquoted big time by the 4 day tilers that have rapidly sprung up. There are at least 20-25 different business cards advertising local tilers at the local Topps Tiles here in Cannock for instance.

As I have said on other posts, I have known for other 'tilers' to quote £8-10 per square metre and be happy earning about £50-60 per day, as most of them have come from unemployment and are just grateful to get the jobs to pay the bills and get them through the week.

What they don't realise is that they could be earning triple that if they thought about it.....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cis? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We had an outdoor limestone patio laid at the start of June (finished circa 07/06/24)...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve had a quote for Labour for the flowing 3 jobs. Kitchen splash back, shower...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a stone resin shower tray which I am planning to remove (with a due sense of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.