Discuss Cleaning Fire Damaged Limestone in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Looking for advice on how to clean fire damaged unfilled limestone. The client tells me the tiles were never sealed although it's difficult to confirm this and the fire was a plastic based fire in the basement affecting the ground floor entrance floor tiles. It's difficult to say how much of the damage is fire related and how much is dirt and wear as they weren't grouted very well and alot of the pit marks are filled with dirt and crud. Looking for cleaning solution recommendations and techniques and also whether steam cleaning would be a good option?
Thanks in advance

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
All about the testing, I would test a solvent based alkali cleaner, we have lithofin wexa, dilute this 1-2 and test two stones, keep wet for 12-15 mins scrubbing with a stiff brush or white pad every min. Rinse this with water and re apply if required. If real stubborn contaminants or staining try a stripping agent after you have de-greased the floor as above . Spot clean with the stripper, we have wax off. If any remaining deep oil marks you could try a poultice we have oil- ex. After the floor is fully dry ( min 7-9 days or until fully dry) re- impregnate

If you have any photos of this floor I could be more precise on cleaning agents req.

J

jonnyc

Very difficult to remove smoke fire stains in my experience. Once laid some Bulgarian white limestone floor and walls in a bathroom in a.africa. Night security made a fire on the tile floor to keep warm !!!!and smoke turned whole bathroom
Puce yellow. Tried everything inc the Cape Town tile doctor! Ended up doing a runner back to uk before I got accused and hung up

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cleaning Fire Damaged Limestone in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, got a 70sqr mtr floor to do in tumbled limestone in sizes 1000mmx600 900x600 800x600...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
P
In desperation, I've come to the experts.. We have some Wickes Riga tiles laid by a...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Right, Ive done a 110sqm of limestone continuous floor. Its a non polished (matt)...
Replies
Views
N
Hi, I am currently going through the process of buying a house. In the kitchen there is...
Replies
Views
Dash J
D
Hello, I have some 'black' Nero granite unglazed porcelain tiles (actually very dark grey)...
Replies
Views
TJ Smiler
T
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB