Discuss Cleaning Travertine in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Hi, not chlorine generally, this will generally be salts that form from the lap water / sitting water that is continually evaporating , these then layer on to each other - which further down the line will almost produce a crust. If yours have not gone to far you can try an alkaline product- we have lithofin power clean -( other avalible to deal with salt) use this diluted 1-2 with an white emulsifying pad .

Do not be tempted to use an acidic product or lime scale remover as this will remove your stone as quick as the scale.

If the salts have built to far , I generally will remove these easily with a diamond pad on a flex machine, a local restorer could do this for you. Once removed and fully dry re- impregnate with a suitable impregnator , we have mn stain stop - other brands available. If still a dry - dusty finish , you could use a colour enhancer to lift the colour. These will then keep dirt,salt and water marks above the stone and you will then maintain them at there earliest form -you will then be able to remove easily with the hand pads and poss a bit product when required.

This is not a bad product for around a pool, you just need the right info to maintain it. You're impregnator will reduce most porosity,

If you have photos we can see what stage of salt ingress you are at.

craigy

TF
US
Hi, not chlorine generally, this will generally be salts that form from the lap water / sitting water that is continually evaporating , these then layer on to each other - which further down the line will almost produce a crust. If yours have not gone to far you can try an alkaline product- we have lithofin power clean -( other avalible to deal with salt) use this diluted 1-2 with an white emulsifying pad .

Do not be tempted to use an acidic product or lime scale remover as this will remove your stone as quick as the scale.

If the salts have built to far , I generally will remove these easily with a diamond pad on a flex machine, a local restorer could do this for you. Once removed and fully dry re- impregnate with a suitable impregnator , we have mn stain stop - other brands available. If still a dry - dusty finish , you could use a colour enhancer to lift the colour. These will then keep dirt,salt and water marks above the stone and you will then maintain them at there earliest form -you will then be able to remove easily with the hand pads and poss a bit product when required.

This is not a bad product for around a pool, you just need the right info to maintain it. You're impregnator will reduce most porosity,

If you have photos we can see what stage of salt ingress you are at.

Thanks, I would love to get these products but am in the US. are they or anything equivalent available here?
I did try diluted muriatic acid in one small spot with poor results. The spa is painted with epoxy under the waterline and has had scale build due to high ph though this comes right off with a brush.

K

Kelly Steer

Absolutely right. Recently a fellow of mine (builder) asked me similar question and as far as I can tell due to some research, the important thing is to maintain it right and there will be absolutely no problem. Cheers

craigy

TF
US
OK, I finally bought 3 lithofin products. I had to wait till I drained the spa to do this. thats why its 5 months since the last post. I have mn power clean, color intensifier, and stain stop. I assume using them in that order is proper.I have a boars hair pad that was recommended for the power clean. I can mount that to a right angled grinder, I guess. I tried some power clean with the pad by hand with only slight results. The others, I will use Ufiber towels to apply. What would be the proper rpm for the pads? It doesn't seem too abrasive.

regards,
Craig

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cleaning Travertine in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hello I kindly ask a professional opinion for a huge problem i have I am selling special...
Replies
Views
Tilled an en-suite shower room about 7yrs ago, there is no window only an extractor fan. The...
Replies
Views
S
I have just had my kitchen splashback wall & around the window tiled with chiaro tumbled...
Replies
Views
swanny944
S
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB