Discuss cleaning travetine in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

swanny944

I have just had my kitchen splashback wall & around the window tiled with chiaro tumbled travertine-it looks stunning-I am going to seal it before & after grouting but my question is do I need to clean the tiles with something before I seal them ? the job was finished about 1 week ago-also I am told to use unsanded grout which I am having problems finding-what is the best grout to use & also does it need to be possibly "ivory" coloured to match the tiles.
thankyou for any advice

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Hi, if your tiles are a little dusty wipe over with a damp cloth to remove , leave a day or so to release moisture. If the tiles require more cleaning use a light alkaline stone cleaner and white emulsifying pad.

Ensure you extend your drying times before sealing, if you give a deeper clean.

If you want to leave the tiles the same colour , seal the tiles with a suitable impregnating sealer face and edge. Remove all excess, no wet look finish and let dry!!

If you want to enhance the colour, use a combined enhancer and impregnating seal.

Let cure for 12-24 hr

Grout ( with your chosen grout, sorry cant advise here

Once grout dry ( 5-7 days or until fully dry ) fitters will laff at this, lol

Seal again with the impregnator to include grout, remove all excess.

M

m3fitter

I take my travertine home, and wash thoroughly in the bath with me, me and my partner then dry it thoroughly, especially in the creases.... when dry, we then colour co ordinate it dependent on what shade it is, wrap it in bubble wrap and take it back on site, where we then ask the client where they would like each tile laid, obviously dependent on where their light falls... we ground the wastage up and mix it with resin to make colour coordinating grout... hope it helps ;-)

I take my travertine home, and wash thoroughly in the bath with me, me and my partner then dry it thoroughly, especially in the creases.... when dry, we then colour co ordinate it dependent on what shade it is, wrap it in bubble wrap and take it back on site, where we then ask the client where they would like each tile laid, obviously dependent on where their light falls... we ground the wastage up and mix it with resin to make colour coordinating grout... hope it helps ;-)
I do exactly the same, Also tumbled travertine can be dried using a tumble drier :lol:

S

swanny944

hi there,
we have sponged the tiles with clean water,allowed to dry & have sealed twice - I have ivory grout & an empty cartridge to TRY & make sure that the grout only goes in the gaps & not on the face !! lol I realise that this is not going to be the easiest of tasks but if we (hubby & me) take our time I,m hopeing it will be o.k.my son would do it if I asked him but I think this one is within our capabilities - fingers crossed lol - slowly does it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to cleaning travetine in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi ! I’m a homeowner without any tiles related knowledge. So recently i use this hard chemical...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB