Discuss Client has now chose different floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

While working on the barn conversion I have been doing the builder drops a small problem on me.
The client had specified travertine for the hall and WC floors. The oak staircase has been fitted to allow for the thickness of Travertine but now they have chose some very nice porcelain in a modular pattern.
Now the floor is 5mm too low ! and yes it is an issue as there will be a gap around the foot of the stairs and newel posts.
I dont relish tiling and adding more adhesive to make the difference up and its not really the best idea to use SLC as the screed is anhydrite.
We have been through many options and the best method I can see is prime floor with Epoxy primer and lay Ditra. I have done a dry run with Ditra under a tile and with a bed of adhesive it will do the job. Now I could use a gypsum adhesive to lay the ditra and avoid the epoxy primer. But....as we know, No one will say if it will work as it hasnt been tested by Schluter.
So anyone else got any bright ideas ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
While working on the barn conversion I have been doing the builder drops a small problem on me.
The client had specified travertine for the hall and WC floors. The oak staircase has been fitted to allow for the thickness of Travertine but now they have chose some very nice porcelain in a modular pattern.
Now the floor is 5mm too low ! and yes it is an issue as there will be a gap around the foot of the stairs and newel posts.
I dont relish tiling and adding more adhesive to make the difference up and its not really the best idea to use SLC as the screed is anhydrite.
We have been through many options and the best method I can see is prime floor with Epoxy primer and lay Ditra. I have done a dry run with Ditra under a tile and with a bed of adhesive it will do the job. Now I could use a gypsum adhesive to lay the ditra and avoid the epoxy primer. But....as we know, No one will say if it will work as it hasnt been tested by Schluter.
So anyone else got any bright ideas ?

why not use a gypsum based SLC??

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
abrade the floor as you would normally with a anhydrite screed, prime with eco prim T and level with Ultraplan renovation screed. Put a layer of mapetex anti fracture onto screed with keraquick plus and latex plus.

Jeez... A bit ver engineered aint it?? Never been a fan of ecoprim t and cement leveller on anhydrite personally

D

DHTiling

Uzin ltd, creative impressions, mapei, weber, .... There's lots of them about. More than there are gysum adhesives.

Ths might help.... I have posted it before some time ago....

http://www.gypsol.co.uk/11_Ancillary_Products.pdf

Your adhesive suppliers needs updating :)

- - - Updated - - -

abrade the floor as you would normally with a anhydrite screed, prime with eco prim T and level with Ultraplan renovation screed. Put a layer of mapetex anti fracture onto screed with keraquick plus and latex plus.

Not as simple as that though is it ?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Client has now chose different floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB