Discuss Cloakroom tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ciscobloke01

Hi, I'm looking to tile my downstairs cloakroom/toilet with floor to ceiling 45x45cm porcelain tiles. The walls are currently painted skimmed plasterboard.

I guess what I want to know is will the walls take the weight or am I in for trouble? I was thinking of stripper the paint off (of possible) and then keying all over before tiling or will this not be enough?

Thanks in advance

Mike

C

Ciscobloke01

Hay thx for the reply. Gutted the weight is over, I'm wondering g how much under the max weight the manufacturers go? They say 20kgm2 but wonder if it would take the 24kgm2 you mention? As for resheeting how easy/messy is it to remove drywall that has been dot dab fixed to internal block walls and stud walls? It's a small cloakroom, any ideas on tools I'd need and rough estimate on time to strip off ready for new boards?

B

Bubblecraft

Hay thx for the reply. Gutted the weight is over, I'm wondering g how much under the max weight the manufacturers go? They say 20kgm2 but wonder if it would take the 24kgm2 you mention? As for resheeting how easy/messy is it to remove drywall that has been dot dab fixed to internal block walls and stud walls? It's a small cloakroom, any ideas on tools I'd need and rough estimate on time to strip off ready for new boards?

It's not worth the chance to go over the weight. Can be quite messy if it's duplex but easy enough to remove. Sledge hammer & cold chisel will do if you don't own an SDS. Would take me just a morning to rip down a 16m2 bathroom so if you allow yourself a day to strip & prep & a day to re-sheet, you should be fine. If you have Duplex up now, replace like for like

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cloakroom tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
D
Hi All, Appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here, so i would like to ask for some input on...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 59001
D
Hi all In a kind of 'Payment' for all the advice i have got from here i have decided to do a...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB