Discuss cloudy/hazy???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martina Minnock

Hi
I have newly laid porcelain tiles in my kitchen,but 3-4 tiles seem to be cloudy/hazy,as if they were wiped with a dirty cloth..the tiles are not sealed or grouted yet as i was removing the wax coating (used lithofin wax off),its definitly not wax on the tiles,and its only really appeared in the last couple of days,the only thing i can think off that may have cause this is my little girl was sick on the floor,although i cleaned it up quickly could it have marked the tiles and is there any way of removing the hazy look.I'd be gratful of any help
Thanks

M

Martina Minnock

After resigning myself to the fact that these three tile cant be fixed,i continued on with the last bit of de-waxing,and low and behold about 5 more have the exact same appearance,there is no wax on them as they have been done twice with lithofin wax off and i cant feel anything on the tile,if you get really close to the tile it seems to be in it not on it, if that make sense,its like the wax has penetrated the tile,these tiles are in direct day light but if i close the blind and put the light on i cant see it,also when i got really close there is several pin size holes that just look like a speck of dirt,has anybody any ideas on why this has happened?
thanks

K

kevan

hi martina,it sounds very much like optical hazing,which is quite common in porcelain.it appears as a haze or smudge in certain light also sometimes pores can be seen,its caused by manufacture,mineral content of the porcelain.nothing can be done to eradicate it but the performance of the tile is not affected, only it will probably drive you mad ,if you replace the affected tiles check them in bright light and at all angles.good luck

Reply to cloudy/hazy???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
cloudy/hazy????
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.