UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss commercial/site work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Tell the project bloke you'll send him on a holiday if he pushes your bid through as the preferred one. Usually works.

You tend to find unless you know of the firm managing the project, they'll often just get a bunch of other quotes for the customer or for their records in case it ever got questioned in the future, but they've often always got a firm in mind already. They just need say 5 tenders in on the table and they push the one they're mates with forward.

Obviously not all like that. But I worked with a bloke selling garden furniture, and he was an architectural engineer by trade and ran a building business with his old man back in the day. He actually built the BAL training centre (they dont use that one now mind) and when I was chatting to him about it, he said that in most cases he'd need to send the project manager who's managing the tenders a very nice drink and he'd often get the work.

He said if he knew the bloke who asked him to tender, he'd normally always get it too, and they'd discuss and acceptable price well before the tender got prepared.

Even councils have been done for doing it in the past. Letting tenders win for £1,000,000 when they had tenders in for £500,000 - that sort of thing. Stoke on Trent council got clocked doing it a few times, and they just kept saying the highest tender was the best one. Until one of the most reputable building firms around here butted in and said their tender went in and never won at half the price of the main firm.

They now use Keir based down south somewhere for the council work. When they said they'd use locals to support the economy. I wonder why they went with Keir?!?!?! (backhanderssssssss!!)

P

Perry

2.5% will be held back during the defect period. All mats & tiles are to be purchased from there supplier.
And how much are they going to charge you will be lucky to get that 2.5% you may find like i did in the early days they have fixed the the price with the suppliers higher than you can buy them normally and you may find like when i used to tile burger kings they do not allow any prep and can be like ploughed fields

Last edited by a moderator:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
2.5% will be held back during the defect period. All mats & tiles are to be purchased from there supplier.
And how much are they going to charge you will be lucky to get that 2.5% you may find like i did in the early days they have fixed the the price with the suppliers higher than you can buy them normally and you may find like when i used to tile burger kings they do not allow any prep and can be like ploughed fields

The company I subby for does a lot of these, I've manged to avoid most of them, the only one I did was fairly straight forward, most of the others were a joke

P

Pebbs

Phil, its really down to you, a running contract like that can cause a lot of headaches, but I like headaches, it keeps me on my toes. If you have enough work going forward you might not want to undertake it. If you want to think long term, then I say go for it. I think you have enough contacts all over the place so you might want to sub some of it out, if you have diff sites running at the same time.

Lynn

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
I have been asked to tender for tiling 200 fast food restaurants, around the country. At the mo i only do domestic work. was wondering if anyone could advise me on the sort of requirements for taking on a job like this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Phil,i'll be honest with you mate,as you only deal at the moment with domestics ,you are not equipped to quote with a job that size mate ,a lot of well established tiling firms wouldnt commit to that sort of contract they would quote for 10 and then re-negoitate there after.
As you say you only do domestics,commercial work is a totally diffrent ballgame,it would probably cost you £sssssss just to even get in a position were you were able to quote for a job on that scale and after that sort of lay-out the chance are you wont even get a sniff.

If you wanna go that way tell them you will price one see how it goes and the adjust your price accordingly, i will guarantee you will be cheap on you first pricing,but you will learn to add on for unseen complications which there will be many.

Hope that helps mate and sorry if its not what you wanted to hear :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to commercial/site work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Can anybody recommend a cutter that will produce very good edge cuts on 10mm very hard porcelain...
Replies
Views
G
hi guys I've always used a wet cutter to cut my tiles where ever my dry rail cutter can't do...
Replies
Views
gary b
G
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.