Discuss Complete Bathroom - Advice re preparation please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi there - DIY job - Not tiled at all before so bear with me.....!

Ripped out old bathroom - dimensions 4m * 1.4m

It's a first floor extension built on to the side of the house so one long wall is plastered brickwork (seems very sound), one end wall is a rebuilt 4*2 stud partition to next room, the long outside wall and other end wall is timber with tiling outside - with the inside being only 9mm skimmed plasterboard and apparently no noggins. I assume as they would have put umpteen cross timbers to hold the tiles outside noggins not necessary.

1400*900 shower tray to go direct on the chipboard (loads of mastic round it) at the end with the new stud partition wall.

So, ripped up the old floor and put down P5 chipboard all well screwed (yes, I see it should really have been ply now...!). Hardiebacker 6mm to go on top.

Aquapanel screwed to the new partition and the outside wall of the shower area- with some extra cross bracing. So one wall of the three is currently plastered brickwork.

Tiles chosen are 600*300 porcelain which I'm told are 23 kilos per square metre + adhesive.

Reading the forums it seems that 20Kg is max recommended for skimmed plasterboard and 9mm doesn't exactly seem great anyway. (It was previously tiled with bog standard ceramic with no problems).

If I tile on to the 9mm skimmed am I guaranteed to get problems or just not ideal?

Would the plastered brickwork would be OK after it's been sealed?

If I were to overboard the 9mm walls with 12.5mm plasterboard, prime, and then tile - would that be OK?

So, suggestions for going forward would be much appreciated.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Complete Bathroom - Advice re preparation please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB